Marine Geophysics Laboratory Services
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Over the years, our commitment to research of the aquatic environment has enabled us to develop skills in a variety of key areas including: suspended sediment monitoring, bathymetry mapping and remote sensing. We are now able to provide these highly specialised services to others in the scientific community and industry. For a detailed list of projects we have been involved in see consulting.
Suspended Sediment Monitoring
Deploying instruments in the marine environment presents challenges that can not only be costly but also affect data integrity. Our staff have performed countless deployments of nephelometers and are familiar with the problems that can occur. From deployment to data analysis and delivery, we provide a complete sediment monitoring solution that can be highly customised according to our clients' needs.
Click here to learn more about our monitoring service.
Data Analysis & Interpretation
After many years of analysing suspended sediment data (turbidity), our staff know exactly what to look for and how water turbidity relates to other physical phenomena. Since mid 2011 we have been working hard to be able to provide data to our clients in real-time. Now using our semi-automated data processing we are able to quickly provide accurate water quality data on demand.
Click for more information about this service or Login to view data.
Our knowledge of Bathymetry mapping started out as part of the research of Dr Thomas Stieglitz. His mapping of the reef around a number of wrecks and the discovery of 'Wonky holes' off the North Queensland coast produced some remarkable 3D images of the sea floor.
Operating as a consultant we have performed bathymetry mapping in the Purari River in Papua New Guinea. If you wish to know more about this service please contact us.
Recently we have been working with NASA's satellite images to asses water quality along the Queensland coast. Should you like to learn more about this service please contact us.