Outstanding Alumni Terms and conditions
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders in Marine Science
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Reputation and Experience
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anthropological Laboratory for Tropical Audiovisual Research (ALTAR)
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- JCU Aquaculture Solutions
- AusAsian Mental Health Research Group
- Area 61
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- JCU-CSIRO Partnership
- Employability Edge
- Career Ready Plan
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- WHOCC for N&M Education and Research
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Research Division
- Services and Resources Division
- Education Division
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Environmental Research Complex [ERC]
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Engagement
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- Inherent Requirements
- IsoTropics Geochemistry Lab
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- Research and Innovation Services
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Events
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Ideas Lab
- JCU Job Ready
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Mabo Decision: 30 years on
- National Reconciliation Week
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Award categories
- How to nominate
- Outstanding Alumni Awards nomination form
- Previous recipients
- Terms and conditions
- Contact Us
- Outstanding Alumni Search
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Contextual Science for Tropical Coastal Ecosystems
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procurement
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Terms and conditions
Who can be nominated:
- Nominations are open to all domestic and international graduates of any Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level 7 or above course offered by James Cook University or its predecessor institutions.
- Alumni who are current (paid) staff of JCU are not eligible for nomination.
- Previous early career (young or trailblazer) award recipients are eligible for renomination in another category if significant further achievement has been made since their original award.
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years.
Who can nominate:
- Nominations can be made by anyone, including the nominee.
General nomination terms & conditions:
- An incomplete nomination may be considered at the discretion of the Selection Panel.
- Joint nominations will not be accepted. (e.g. no groups, teams, or work places). An individual can be nominated by multiple people.
- Nominees may request to be removed from the nomination process at any stage.
- If additional information is required, the nominator may be contacted.
- The University reserves the right to disclose the identity of the nominator to the nominee.
- Personal information submitted to the University by the nominator or nominee, in connection with the awards, will be disclosed to members of the award judging panel for the purpose of judging the awards in each category.
- JCU reserves the right to verify the identity of nominees at any time and may disqualify any person whose nomination is not in accordance with these terms and conditions.
- The profiles of recipients (names, images, biography) will be made public.
Nominees will be assessed by a selection panel consisting of a cross section of representatives from the University’s senior executive team. Members may include:
- Vice-Chancellor & President (Chair)
- DVC, Indigenous Education & Strategy
- Director, Advancement
- DVC, Research (optional)
- DVC, Academy (optional)
- Other members as suggested by Chair
The awards will be judged based on how the applicant demonstrates the key criteria outlined for each category and will take into account the following:
- How the achievements and their impact contribute to JCU’s stated mission and align with JCU’s values;
- Degree of difficulty of the achievement and personal sacrifices made by the nominee;
- The extent of the nominee’s individual role in a group or organisational achievement;
- Nature and length of activity or service;
- Contribution and/or service to JCU;
- How the individual has brought distinction to themselves, credit to the University, and benefit to their community through their vocation.
The decision of the selection panel is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
The University reserves the right to change a nominee’s award category from the one nominated.
The University reserves the right not to give an award in any category at its discretion.
Each award category is intended to have one recipient per year. The selection panel may, at its discretion, award more than one in any given year.
- Only the nominator will be notified if a nomination is unsuccessful.
- Successful nominees and their nominators will be advised in writing and invited to attend the awards event.
- Award recipients will be announced to the public at an Outstanding Alumni Awards event.
- 9th May 2023: Nominations open
- 19th June 2023: Nominations close
- By 28th July 2023: Successful nominees contacted, unsuccessful nominators notified that their candidate was unsuccessful.
- End Sept: Announcement of recipients
Make a nomination
The JCU Outstanding Alumni Awards recognise the excellence and achievements of JCU Alumni who have made outstanding contributions in their chosen field.