Wellbeing and Counselling
- Visit the Safety and Wellbeing website to access information about support services (including crisis support and counselling) both on and off campus.
- The Student Conflict Support website provides JCU students with a self-help resource to assist them to manage their own conflict, and also as a referral resource should students require further support.
- See also How to overcome exam anxiety, a helpful article for all university students.
- Browse the Scholarships @ JCU website.
- The JCU Student Loans Scheme provides University funding for assistance in the form of loans to students who are in genuine need. The scheme aims to help students who, without this assistance, may not be able to continue their studies.
- The award winning JCU Learning Centre offers online and face-to-face access to academic learning development.
Sexual and Gender Diversity
Support and action groups
- Interact with sexually and gender diverse students and allies, or help support diversity and inclusiveness at JCU by joining the JCU Pride Alliance group.
- See also the Cairns LGBT Alliance.
- Headspace is the national youth mental health foundation dedicated to improving the wellbeing of young Australians.
- Out for Australia seeks to support and mentor aspiring LGBTIQ professionals as they navigate their way through the early stages of their career.
- National LGBTI Health Alliance recognises that people’s genders, bodies, relationships, and sexualities affect their health and wellbeing in every domain of their life.
- SSAY IT Cairns is a group for LGBTIQ+ young people. Phone Youth Link on (07) 4031 6179.
- Queensland Police Service works closely with the LGBTI communities to develop partnerships, awareness and understanding of impacting issues. The LGBTI Liaison Program provides a professional, non-discriminatory, accessible policing service to members of LBGTI communities.
- Reach Out provides practical tools and support to help young people get through everything from everyday issues to tough times.
- Australian Human Rights Commission has some great resources on sex, sexuality and gender identity and your rights.
- Townsville Sexual Health Services (Queensland Health) offers comprehensive sexual and reproductive health services.
- See It's pronounced METRO sexual, a website offering a list of LGBTQ+ vocabulary definitions
- The Australian Government's Guidelines on the Recognition of Sex and Gender apply to all Australian Government departments and agencies that maintain personal records (including employee records), and/or collect sex and/or gender information.
- Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act (1992)
- Commonwealth Privacy Act (1988)
- Disability Standards for Education (2005)
- Anti-Discrimination Act (1991) (Queensland)