About JCU Strategic Direction
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders in Marine Science
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- Strategic Direction
- University Executive
- Divisions and Colleges
- Reputation and Experience
- University performance
- Building design
- 2022 in review
- LiFE Index
- Interim Sustainability Report 2022-2023
- Campus Locations, Maps and Transport
- Contact Us
- Reputation and Experience
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anthropological Laboratory for Tropical Audiovisual Research (ALTAR)
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre (AgTAC)
- Living on Campus
- How to apply
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- JCU Aquaculture Solutions
- AusAsian Mental Health Research Group
- Area 61
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Boating and Diving
- JCU-CSIRO Partnership
- Employability Edge
- Career Ready Plan
- Careers at JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyber Security Hub
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Research Division
- Services and Resources Division
- Education Division
- Elite Athletes
- Environmental Research Complex [ERC]
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- General Practice and Rural Medicine
- JC 'U' Orientation
- Give to JCU
- Art of Academic Writing
- Art of Academic Editing
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Engagement
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- Inherent Requirements
- IsoTropics Geochemistry Lab
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- Research and Innovation Services
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Events
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Ideas Lab
- JCU Job Ready
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Mabo Decision: 30 years on
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Contextual Science for Tropical Coastal Ecosystems
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procurement
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TropEco for Staff and Students
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- Clinical Psychedelic Research Lab
- Centre for Tropical Biosecurity
- Open Day
JCU has many different strategies, plans, statements and reports that capture the University’s strategic direction across its core activities.
Strategies and plans
JCU aims to create a brighter future for life in the Tropics and beyond, through education and research that makes a difference locally, and globally.
Our Corporate Strategy is shared by all of JCU, across our operations and locations in Australia, Singapore and elsewhere. It sets out our values, priorities and what matters to us as a university.
The University Plan expresses how we intend to respond to the challenges facing JCU and the Australian higher education sector over the 2018-2022 period. It highlights the primacy of our academic ambitions (via the Academic Plan) and identifies the services and capabilities required to fulfil these.
The Academic Plan (PDF, 1534 KB) provides context and more detailed information around our academic aspirations and curriculum framework, and identifies executive and operational leads for initiatives. This plan is linked to and part of the broader University Plan.
International engagement strategy
The International Engagement Strategy commits us to achieving comprehensive internationalisation across all dimensions. The strategy sets out how we are connecting JCU to the world and the world to JCU, and ensure that a more internationalised JCU benefits our local communities and economies.
The Innovation Strategy outlines our approach to building and supporting a vibrant innovation ecosystem, developing products and processes with real commercial application and driving economic growth.
Natural assets management plans
JCU’s approach to managing natural assets and principles for future campus development are outlined in the Townsville campus Natural Assets Management Plan (PDF, 863 KB) and Cairns campus Natural Assets Management Plan (PDF, 1083 KB).
They articulate the University’s plans to protect cultural heritage, maintain ecologically sustainable plant habitats, integrate native and existing plant ecosystems, control pests and weeds, manage waterways and improve landscape design.
JCU is committed to working towards the achievement of genuine and sustainable reconciliation between Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the wider community. The Reconciliation Statement and supporting Reconciliation Action Plan help articulate JCU's plans to improve the lives of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples through education and research.
The Sustainability Statement formalises JCU's commitment to working towards equitable and sustainable development in Northern Queensland, Northern Australia, the Tropics, and worldwide.
Statement on eliminating sexual harassment and sexual assault
JCU is committed to fostering a community that features, at its core, respect, inclusion and safety for all. The Statement of Commitment to the Elimination of Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault is part of a suite of initiatives designed to help prevent and respond to sexual harassment and sexual assault.
Modern slavery statement
Modern slavery includes human trafficking, slavery and practices involving servitude, forced labour, forced or servile marriage, debt bondage and the worst forms of child labour. The Modern Slavery Statement (PDF, 1758 KB) sets out JCU’s actions to address these risks in our business and supply chain.
Our Annual Reports contain information about our activities, key performance indicators and yearly financial statements.
JCU's contribution to human capital is an important catalyst for growth, economic activity and wellbeing in regional areas. The Impact Report examines the impact of our operations on the Townsville, Cairns and Queensland economies.
James Cook University partners with Russo Higher Education Pty Ltd to deliver the programs available at our Brisbane campus.