Nature of the Scholarship
The value of the scholarship shall be an income from the investment of a donation of $70,000 or such amount the Selection Committee determines from time to time. The value in 2016 shall be $5,000 paid in two equal instalments are census date of study period 2 and study period 1 of the following year.
The Thelma Myers Memorial Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nursing Scholarship shall be open to competition among candidates who:
- I am an Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander;
- I am a registered nurse or registered midwife; and
- have been accepted for postgraduate studies or a higher degree in research within the College of Healthcare Sciences in the discipline of Nursing and Midwifery at James Cook University.
The Selection Committee will, in the exercise of their absolute discretion, afford consideration to the following criteria:
- Academic merit or potential;
- The character of the candidate for the award; and
- If the candidate will receive any other scholarship assistance during their studies.
Preference will be given to any candidate studying or researching clinical nursing and, in particular, mental health nursing.
Applications must be submitted on the official form no later than the date set by the Selection Committee for the year in which the award is to be made.
Applicants must attach to the official form:
- A certified copy of their transcript from any other academic institution;
- Proof of Australian Aboriginality and/or Torres Strait Islander;
- Two to three written references attesting to the applicant's character and/or suitability to receive the scholarship;
- Their curriculum vitae;
- Demonstration and or evidence of leadership ability, in particular how further education will assist the applicant to advance Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health; and
- Any other supporting documentation that would assist the Selection Committee in developing an opinion as to the merit of the application.
Applications submitted without the relevant documentation will not be considered.
The applicant authorises the Selection Committee to make enquiries as to the applicant's character and suitability to receive the scholarship, which includes authorisation for the Selection Committee to examine the applicant's academic record and seek opinions from relevant members of the academic staff of this University or any other academic institution.
The award of the scholarship shall be made in the absolute discretion of the Selection Committee, which shall comprise:
- Dean, College of Healthcare Sciences, or nominee (Chair)
- A Professor or Senior Lecturer of Nursing, as determined by the Chair
- Donor, Ms Carolyn Dixon, or nominee
The Selection Committee reserves the right:
- Not to award a scholarship in any year if, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, there is no candidate of sufficient merit to warrant an award;
- To award a scholarship for period of one or more years; and
- To extend a scholarship for an existing recipient.
The Selection Committee may require applicants to undertake an interview as part of their application.
The Selection Committee will determine all matters relating to the selection process.
If you are a successful applicant of this scholarship you will receive $5,000 paid in 2 equal instalments after census date of study period 2 and study period 1 of the following year.
The recipient of the scholarship shall continue to receive the award on condition that in the opinion of the Selection Committee, and on advice from the Dean of College in which the recipient is undertaking a course of study, that the recipient maintains a satisfactory level of performance. Where it is determined that the level of academic performance is unsatisfactory the Selection Committee may in its absolute discretion cancel the award or suspend the award for such time as it may determine and/or until academic performance is considered satisfactory.
Conditions of the Scholarship
If the recipient defers their study, the recipient will no longer be eligible for the award. Where an award is terminated under this clause it may be awarded to another suitable applicant.
In the event that the recipient suspends their study, the scholarship shall be suspended.
The requirements of the scholarship shall not make the awarding of the scholarship conditional upon the recipient providing unremunerated services or products to the donor.
Where an award provides some benefit to the recipient from a body external to the University, or an obligation upon a body external to the University, the University, its servants and agents, shall not be liable for that benefit or obligation.
If the recipient fails to comply with any of the conditions of this scholarship, the Chair of the Selection Committee may suspend or terminate the scholarship, or take such action as it deems necessary to enforce compliance with the condition by the recipient.
A student may lodge a request for review of the decision in accordance with the provisions of the Student Complaint Management Policy and Procedures.
Administration of the Scholarship
The scholarship shall be administered by the Scholarships Office on behalf of the Selection Committee.
The funds of the scholarship shall be held in an account in the name of the University and shall be administered by the officer of the University charged with administering the scholarship.
Where there is a fund maintaining the award, the annual value of the award shall be approximately equal to the annual income from the fund.
The amount available in the fund shall be determined each year by the Financial & Business Services Office prior to advertising the award. The capital of the fund may be used to fund the Scholarship. Such amount to be stated in any advertising.
Income from a fund not expended on the award which it maintains, shall be added to and become part of the fund.
Money payable in any year to the holder of a scholarship shall be paid quarterly at such times and in such amounts as advised by the Selection Committee appropriate to the circumstance of each case (as per Clause 11).
In the absence of awarding the scholarship in a year, the funds will be decided for use at the discretion of the Selection Committee to support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander nurses or midwives to participate in professional development (PD) activity.
Please refer to Glossary of Terms