That apply to:
- JCU Access Scholarships
- JCU Access Bursaries
- JCU Support Grants
For the purpose of this document the JCU Access Scholarships, JCU Access Bursaries and JCU Support Grants will be collectively referred to as the JCU Access Fund. A payment under this program will be referred to as an award.
The JCU Access Fund has been established to assist JCU first and second year undergraduate students from low socio-economic backgrounds with study related costs.
The JCU Access Fund is funded from a number of sources, including JCU, the Commonwealth Government’s Higher Education Participation and Partnerships Program, and by donations from members of the community.
This scholarship is subject to the provisions of the James Cook University Coursework Scholarships, Bursaries and Grants Policy.
Nature of the JCU Access Fund
The JCU Access Scholarship
- is valued at $5,000 or such amount as the Selection Committee may determine from time to time;
The JCU Access Bursary
- is valued at $2,000 or such amount as the Selection Committee may determine from time to time;
The JCU Support Grant
- is valued at a $1,000 or such amount as the Selection Committee may determine from time to time;
To be eligible for an award under the JCU Access Fund, an applicant must:
- for JCU Access Scholarships and JCU Access Bursaries be a JCU student in their first year of enrolment1 in an undergraduate bachelor or diploma course as at the census date for Study Period 1 and 2; or
- If applying in the second semester (as a first year), or as a second year, then course GPA must be 4.0 or higher.
- for JCU Support Grants be a JCU student in their second year of enrolment2 in an undergraduate bachelor or diploma course, as at the census date for Study Period 1 and 21; and
- be an Australian citizen, a New Zealand citizen or a holder of a permanent (or humanitarian) visa; and
- be enrolled by the census date as a full-time student (at least 9 credit points per semester) in Study Period 1 or 2 or be enrolled by the relevant census date as a part-time student due to exceptional circumstances that prevent the applicant from enrolling as a full-time student; and
- have not previously completed a bachelor degree.
- be experiencing on-going financial hardship demonstrated by sufficient documentary evidence to enable a comprehensive assessment by the Selection Committee. Evidence may be in the form of an applicant being eligible for or receiving Centrelink benefits or be dependent on a person who is receiving Centrelink benefits.
- be able to demonstrate that they have experienced ongoing hardship or additional challenges which may hinder their access to, or participation in, tertiary education.
1 Have or will complete Semester 1 or currently in Semester 2 for the first time at JCU and no previous study load in the last 5 years
2 Have completed 2 Semesters and are currently in their 3rd or 4th Semester (2nd year)
Applications must be submitted via eStudent no later than the advertised closing date of the relevant Round.
Applicants must attach to the official form, where appropriate:
- a copy of all supporting documentation, as indicated on the application form; and
- any other supporting documentation that would assist the Selection Committee in assessing the merit of the application.
Applications submitted without the relevant documentation will not be considered.
The applicant authorises the Selection Committee to make such enquiries as to the applicant’s suitability to receive the award, which includes authorisation for the Selection Committee to examine the applicant’s academic record.
The selection criteria and ranking methodology shall be determined each year by the Selection Committee, which shall comprise:
- Dean, Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement, or nominee (Chair);
- Manager, Student Equity and Wellbeing, or nominee;
- Head, Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student & Community Engagement, or nominee;
- Business Analyst, Quality, Planning and Analytics, or nominee;
- Manager, Student Finance and Examinations, or nominee.
At any meeting of the Committee three members shall form a quorum.
The Committee or its Chairperson may invite other University staff members and persons external to the University, as required for the purposes of the Committee, to attend meetings as advisors.
In establishing the selection criteria and ranking methodology, the Selection Committee will afford consideration to the following criteria:
- extent of hardship experienced by applicant;
- applicant’s status in relation to under-represented groups in higher education;
- other criteria that the Selection Committee deems appropriate.
The Committee shall nominate a suitably qualified person as the Evaluation Officer to undertake the ranking of applications in accordance with the agreed methodology.
The Director, Student Services shall nominate a person who has not been appointed as the Evaluation Officer, as the Quality Assurance Officer to rank 10% of the applications in accordance with the agreed methodology.
Any significant discrepancies between the rankings of the Evaluation Officer and the Quality Assurance Officer shall be reported to the Dean, Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement, or nominee and appropriate action taken.
An applicant will not be selected for an award under the JCU Access Fund unless the University is satisfied that the applicant meets the eligibility criteria.
When assessing exceptional circumstances relating to part-time study, the decision that an applicant cannot study full-time due to exceptional circumstances will be made by the Evaluation Officer; and for the purposes of ongoing eligibility by the Manager, Student Finance & Examinations. Factors such as disability, significant carer responsibilities, the unique circumstances of Indigenous students and course constraints outside a student’s control will be taken into account in determining ability to study full-time.
Where the number of eligible applications exceeds the awards available, applications will be ranked using the methodology determined by the Selection Committee, and awards will be allocated in order of rank.
Where applications are ranked equally on the basis of personal and financial circumstances, academic merit will be used as the final determinant.
The Selection Committee, in accordance with agreed ranking methodology, will determine and ratify the recipients of awards of the JCU Access Fund.
Conditions of the JCU Access Fund
Payment will not be made for an award if the recipient does not confirm acceptance by Census date l for Study Period 1 or census date for Study Period 2.
An award may be terminated by the Director, Student and Academic Services if the recipient:
- ceases to meet the eligibility criteria; or
- is suspended or excluded from their course of study in which they were offered a award under the provisions of the Academic Progression Policy; or
- has been subject to more than one penalty for academic misconduct under the University’s Student Academic Misconduct Requirements;
- has been found guilty of inappropriate conduct under the Student Conduct Policy and this inappropriate conduct is deemed serious by the Student Discipline Committee;
- is found to have provided false or misleading information in relation to the award.
Administration of the Award
The Fund shall be administered by the Scholarships Office, Student Services, on behalf of the Selection Committee.
The funds shall be held in an account in the name of the University and shall be administered by the officer of the University charged with administering the program.
A student may request a review of any decision made pursuant to this policy by lodging the request in writing with the Manager, Student Finance & Examinations, within 14 days of the date of notification.
If not satisfied with the outcome of the review a student may then lodge an appeal under the JCU Student Review and Appeals Policy.
1 The census dates for Study Period 1 and Study Period 2
2 The year of enrolment relates to the period of time that the student has been enrolled, regardless of the year level of subjects within the course.