Financial support

Financial support

There are a number of financial support options available to you to help with the costs of studying. These range from student loan programs to help with subject fees, to grants or scholarships that award you money to help pay for study materials and textbooks.

Government HELP loans

These are Commonwealth government loans used to help eligible Australian citizens, permanent humanitarian visa holders, and certain New Zealand citizens with their subject fees, SSA Fee and other overseas study expenses:

HECS-HELP – loan for eligible Commonwealth supported students who want to defer payment of all or some of their subject fees.

SA-HELP – loan for eligible students who want to defer payment of their SSA Fee. Those who have a HECS or FEE-HELP loan must still apply for SA-HELP separately.

FEE-HELP – loan for eligible domestic fee paying students who want to defer payment of all or some of their subject fees.

OS-HELP – loan to help students who undertake part of their study overseas on a student exchange program.

Scholarships, bursaries and grants

All students are encouraged to apply for scholarships and grants that can award you a sum of money ranging from $1,000 to $15,000. There is a wide range of scholarships offered to suit different student types. You've got nothing to lose, so see what you're eligible for.

Student loans

JCU offers all students the opportunity to apply for a small loan to help with the essential study-related expenses. See if you’re eligible.

Government assistance

The Department of Human Services (formerly known as Centrelink) offers many financial support options to students such as Youth Allowance, Austudy and ABSTUDY. See what you’re eligible for.

If eligible, you can apply to defer your fees through a government HELP loan.

Income support for Masters degrees

Full-time domestic students enrolled in an approved masters by coursework program may be eligible for financial support from the Australian government. See if you're eligible.

Careers and employment

If you need to find employment to supplement your income, visit JCU’s Careers and Employment Service. You can access job vacancies and get help with job applications, career planning and more.

Ask Us