Graduation What do I need to do to graduate?

Apply now

What do I need to do to graduate?

What do I need to do to graduate?

In anticipation that you pass all required subjects, and are eligible to graduate.  As JCU continues to manage the impact of COVID-19 all ceremonies for 2020 have been postponed.

We know that attending the ceremony and celebrating your hard work and accomplishments is something many students look forward to and we look forward to giving you that opportunity once the community is able to plan and attend large public events again.  We thank you for your patience in this time of uncertainty.

Important Information

You must pass the requirements of your course before you can graduate. If you have completed your course before 12 December 2020 your award will be conferred at a special sitting of the Council on the 18 December 2020.

Documents issued

Students graduating from an award course at James Cook University (JCU) will be provided with a digital copy of their Testamur and Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) within a week of their conferral date. These documents can be accessed and shared via My eQuals.

Students will receive a hard copy of their Testamur that will either be posted using their postal address after the conferral date  At this time postal service can take up to 6 weeks, so please wait until after this time before following up on documents.

Clear Sanctions

  • You will be prevented from graduating if you have a financial sanction. You can check whether you have a sanction through eStudent. Log-in to eStudent and select the My details tab at the top of the page, followed by Sanctions from the left hand menu. If you have a sanction, the sanction description, the reason for the sanction and the effective date will be visible.
  • If you have a sanction due to unpaid tuition or SSA fees, you can make payment online through eStudent under My Finances. Alternatively, you can make payment in person at the Student Centre.
  • If you have a Library debt, payment can be made in person at the Library or by phone.
  • It can take up to three business days for payment to be received. Once payment is received, your sanction will be lifted. Your sanction must be paid by the date of conferral.

Update your details

  • Formal Name: We recommend that you check your Formal Name details through My Details > My Personal Details in eStudent. The formal name listed will be the name presented on your graduation documents. If you have changed your formal name since enrolling and/or wish to update your name, you will need to complete the Change of Personal Details Form. Changes must be made by the due date as advised in your allocation email.
  • Phonetic Name: If you are attending a graduation ceremony, please submit a phonetic name to be used at the graduation ceremony. This will ensure your formal name is pronounced correctly. You can add or edit your phonetic name through eStudent under My Results and Graduation, followed by Graduation Details on the left-hand side of the page. Select Modify my Phonetic Name, add or edit your phonetic name and select Save. For example, Sean Rhys Beauchamp can be phonetically written as Shorn Reese Bee-chum.
  • Postal Address: All graduating students must have a postal address listed in eStudent so that we can send your documents.