What do I need to do to graduate?
What do I need to do to graduate?
In anticipation that you pass all required subjects, and are eligible to graduate, you will be allocated to a graduation ceremony. You will receive an allocation email when you are enrolled in your final subjects of your course, and the Enrolment Team have reviewed your record. Don’t worry if your friends have received an email but you haven’t. Your record may still be under review.
Your ceremony is based on your course and course location. If would like to change to an alternative ceremony, email email@example.com with the details of the ceremony you wish to attend. You can find a list of JCU ceremony locations, dates and venues via the Ceremonies webpage. Please note: you are only eligible to attend a ceremony for your College or Division
You must pass the requirements of your course before you can graduate. If you have been allocated to a ceremony and you do not pass your final subject/s, you will be re-allocated to the next ceremony for your College/Division. We recommend that you do not make any graduation-related arrangements, such as gown hire or flights, until you have received written confirmation that you have passed the requirements of your course.
Confirm your attendance or opt out of the ceremony
You must confirm your attendance via eStudent by the due date as advised in your allocation email.
How to confirm your attendance or opt out of the ceremony:
- Log-in to eStudent using your JCU username and password.
- Select My Results and Graduation at the top of the page then Graduation Details at the left-hand side of the page.
- If you have been allocated to a ceremony, the ceremony details will appear towards the bottom of the page.
- Select View next to the ceremony details.
- Under Ceremony Details, hit the drop-down menu and select Ceremony – Attending or Ceremony – Not Attending.
- You can change your selection up to the due date as advised in your allocation email.
- If you are unable to, or do not wish to attend the ceremony, your award will still be conferred and your documents will be posted to your graduation address.
If you do not respond or update your attendance preference, a seat will not be allocated to you on the day of the ceremony.
Update your details
- Formal Name: We recommend that you check your Formal Name details through My Details > My Personal Details in eStudent. The formal name listed will be the name presented on your graduation documents. If you have changed your formal name since enrolling and/or wish to update your name, you will need to complete the Change of Personal Details Form. Changes must be made by the due date as advised in your allocation email.
- Phonetic Name: If you are attending a graduation ceremony, please submit a phonetic name to be used at the graduation ceremony. This will ensure your formal name is pronounced correctly. You can add or edit your phonetic name through eStudent under My Results and Graduation, followed by Graduation Details on the left-hand side of the page. Select Modify my Phonetic Name, add or edit your phonetic name and select Save. For example, Sean Rhys Beauchamp can be phonetically written as Shorn Reese Bee-chum.
- Graduation Address: All graduating students must have a graduation address listed in eStudent regardless of whether you are attending a ceremony or not. If you have confirmed your attendance at a ceremony and something unexpected happens which prevents you from attending the ceremony, your graduation documents will be posted to your graduation address. If you are not attending a graduation ceremony your documents will be posted to this address.
- You will be prevented from graduating if you have a financial sanction. You can check whether you have a sanction through eStudent. Log-in to eStudent and select the My details tab at the top of the page, followed by Sanctions from the left hand menu. If you have a sanction, the sanction description, the reason for the sanction and the effective date will be visible.
- If you have a sanction due to unpaid tuition or SSA fees, you can make payment online through eStudent under My Finances. Alternatively, you can make payment in person at the Student Centre.
- If you have a Library debt, payment can be made in person at the Library or by phone.
- It can take up to three business days for payment to be received. Once payment is received, your sanction will be lifted. Your sanction must be paid by the due date as advised in your allocation email.
Gown Hire or Purchase
Once you have received your confirmation email, hire or purchase your gown via the Silver Rose Online Graduation Shop.