The purpose of the John Grey Hall of Residence Scholarship is to provide housing support to students who need to relocate to study at JCU Cairns. Living in a supported environment with other like minded individuals in on-campus accommodation when studying has shown to increase academic success. The Hall is named in honour of former Chancellor Lt Gen Dr John Grey (Rtd) AC who provided exceptional and exemplary service to JCU in his 17 years as Chancellor – from 1999 to 2016.
This scholarship is designed to support students overcoming financial hardship, drought, disability or other circumstances which would significantly impact their capacity to fully engage in tertiary studies. This scholarship is funded by JCU.
This bursary is subject to the provisions of James Cook University’s Coursework Scholarships, Bursaries and Grants Policy.
Nature of the Scholarship
The value of the scholarship shall be up to $3,580 for a full year scholarship, or such amount as the Selection Committee determine from time to time, all funds will be paid direct to the recipients accommodation account at John Grey Hall of Residence.
The John Grey Hall of Residence Scholarship shall be open to competition among candidates who:
- Are or will be enrolled as a full time student at JCU Cairns campus;
- have a home address that is greater than 40km from JCU Cairns campus;
- have applied to live at John Grey Hall in a standard room starting for the full academic year.
The Selection Criteria are:
- demonstrated high degree of motivation to complete tertiary studies;
- the applicant's academic merit;
- the extent of the applicant's educational, social and/or financial disadvantage;
- content of the written statement;
- the character of the candidate for the award; and
- any other criteria that the Selection Committee deems appropriate.
Applications must be submitted on the official application form no later than the date set by the Selection Committee for the year in which the award is to be made.
Applicants must submit with the official form, where appropriate:
- a copy of their academic record from any other academic institution, including secondary school;
- no more than three written references attesting to the candidates good character and/or suitability to receive the scholarship;
- a written statement of no more than 1000 words, outlining:
- their motivation to complete tertiary studies;
- the impact receiving this scholarship would have on their studies; and
- any other information that would assist the Selection Committee in developing an opinion as to the merit of the application such as overcoming financial hardship, drought, disability or other circumstances
- any other supporting documentation that would assist the Selection Committee in developing an opinion as to the merit of the application.
- Applications submitted without the relevant documentation will not be considered.
- The applicant authorises the Selection Committee to make such enquiries as to the applicant’s good character and suitability to receive the scholarship, which includes authorisation for the Selection Committee to examine the applicant’s academic record, and seek opinions from relevant members of the academic staff of this University or any other academic institution.
The award of the scholarship shall be made in the absolute discretion of the Selection Committee, which shall comprise:
- John Grey Hall of Residence Manager or nominee
- JCU Division of Services and Resources, Divisional Executive Officer or nominee
- JCU Accommodation Services Manager or nominee
- The Selection Committee reserves the right:not to award a Scholarship in any year if, in the opinion of the Selection Committee, there is no candidate of sufficient merit to warrant an award;
The Selection Committee may require applicants to undertake an interview as part of their application.
The Selection Committee will determine all matters relating to the selection of the Scholarship awardee.
Monies payable weekly to the recipient’s John Grey Hall of Residence Accommodation account.
The recipient may be eligible for the same scholarship in subsequent years of their residency at the John Grey Hall of Residence providing the recipient:
- Submits the required form by the due date each year
- Continues to meet the eligibility criteria
- Maintains a satisfactory Grade Point Average (GPA 4.0)
- Obtains the express endorsement from the College Principal of the applicant's ability to uphold the College values
Conditions of the Scholarship
A scholarship may be terminated by the Manager of John Grey Hall of Residence if the recipient:
- Fails to confirm acceptance of the scholarship within 7 days of being notified of the scholarship; or
- Ceases to meet the eligibility criteria; or
- Is suspended or excluded from their course of study; or
- Is suspended or excluded from residency at John Grey Hall of Residence
- Is found to have provided false or misleading information in relation to the scholarship
If the recipient defers their study, the recipient will no longer be eligible for the award. The recipient may re-apply for the Scholarship in subsequent years. Where an award is terminated pursuant to the provisions to this clause it may be awarded to another suitable applicant.
A student may lodge a request for review of decision in accordance with the provisions of the Student Appeals Policy.
The requirements of the Scholarship shall not make the awarding of the Scholarship conditional upon the recipient providing unremunerated services or products to the donor.
Administration of the Bursary
The scholarship shall be owned by the Division of Services & Resources;
The scholarship shall be administered by the Scholarship Office, on behalf of the owning unit.
The funds of the scholarship shall be held in an account in the name of the University and shall be administered by the owning unit.
Income from a fund not expended on the award which it maintains, shall be added to and become part of the fund.
Where an award provides some benefit to the recipient from a body external to the University, or an obligation upon a body external to the University, the University, its servants and agents, shall not be liable for that benefit or obligation.
Please refer to Glossary of Terms