Employability Edge You And Your Career
You And Your Career
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders in Marine Science
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Reputation and Experience
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- JCU Aquaculture Solutions
- AusAsian Mental Health Research Group
- Area 61
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- JCU-CSIRO Partnership
- You And Your Career
- 21st Century Work Ready
- Boost Your Skills
- Maximise Course-Relevant Experience
- Graduate Job Search
- Develop Your Professional Identity
- Master Written Applications
- Interviews and Recruitment Processes
- Career Ready Plan
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- WHOCC for N&M Education and Research
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Research Division
- Services and Resources Division
- Education Division
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Engagement
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- Inherent Requirements
- IsoTropics Geochemistry Lab
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- Research and Innovation Services
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Events
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Ideas Lab
- JCU Job Ready
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Mabo Decision: 30 years on
- National Reconciliation Week
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Contextual Science for Tropical Coastal Ecosystems
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procurement
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Self-awareness is vital to making career decisions and successful work and life choices. This module helps to identify your unique personal attributes, values, and skills, and put you on the path to discover a rewarding and meaningful career in an industry where you will thrive.
How long will the module take to complete?
Approximately 120 minutes
- Identify the factors that influence life and career choices
- Define your goals, values, and purpose; appraise passion as a guiding force
- Identify your values, skills, personality type, personal attributes, interests, and strengths
- Set your developmental agenda to shape and construct the career you want
Working through this module
You will gain maximum advantage from this module by working step by step through the topics and activities. At the end of each topic, there is an ‘Additional Resources’ section where you can explore additional information about the subject matter to get that employability edge.
Download and save the ‘You and Your Career’ Activity Book below.
- 123 Test. Personality Test.
- Allen, T. (2019). Dr. Narayan Gopalkrishnan On The Growing Opportunities For Social Enterprise In Far North Queensland. Impact Boom.
- Bateman, T. (2019). Using your realised strengths wisely. [Video]. YouTube.
- Burnett, B. Evans, D. (2016). Designing Your Life. Build a Life that Works for You. London: Chatto & Windus
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (2002). Flow: The classic work on how to achieve happiness. London: Rider.
- Definition of Social Enterprise: Queensland Social Enterprise Council
- Definition of BCorporation
- Foundation for Young Australians. (2016). The New Work Mindset. 7 New Job Clusters to Help Young People Navigate the New Work Order.
- Goleman, D. (2006). Emotional intelligence (10th ed.). New York, New York: Bantam Books.
- Goleman, D. (2019). Millennials: The Purpose Generation. Korn Ferry Institute.
- Job Outlook. Skills Match.
- Litmos Heroes. (2014). Belbin’s Theory on Team Dynamics.
- Mind Tools. Decision Making. How To Make Better Decisions.
- McCrindle Blog. (2019). Job Mobility in Australia.
- Newport, C. (2016). So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love. London: Piatkus
- Open-Source Psychometric Project. Holland Code (RIASEC) Test.
- Open-Source Psychometric Project. Big Five Personality Test.
- O*Net Online. Interests. Preferences for work environments and outcomes.
- O*Net Online. Work Values Search.
- Personal Values. Define Your Personal Values. Free Online Test.
- Positive Psychology.Com. Big Five Personality Traits: The OCEAN Model Explained.
- Trespicio, T. (2015). Stop searching for your passion. [Video]. YouTube.
- Valcour, M. (2013). Craft a Sustainable Career. Harvard Business Review Online.
- Walsh, L. (2017). The Future of Work: 17 Jobs and Five Different Careers. The Sydney Morning Herald 28 July 2017.
- Zohar, D., Marshall, I. (2012). Spiritual Intelligence. London: Bloomsbury Paperback
- Zorah, D. Spiritual Intelligence: A New Paradigm For Collaborative Action. The Systems Thinker.