Employability Edge 21st Century Work Ready
21st Century Work Ready
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders in Marine Science
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Reputation and Experience
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anthropological Laboratory for Tropical Audiovisual Research (ALTAR)
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- JCU Aquaculture Solutions
- AusAsian Mental Health Research Group
- Area 61
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- JCU-CSIRO Partnership
- You And Your Career
- 21st Century Work Ready
- Boost Your Skills
- Maximise Course-Relevant Experience
- Graduate Job Search
- Develop Your Professional Identity
- Master Written Applications
- Interviews and Recruitment Processes
- Career Ready Plan
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- WHOCC for N&M Education and Research
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Research Division
- Services and Resources Division
- Education Division
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Environmental Research Complex [ERC]
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Engagement
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- Inherent Requirements
- IsoTropics Geochemistry Lab
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- Research and Innovation Services
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Events
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Ideas Lab
- JCU Job Ready
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Mabo Decision: 30 years on
- National Reconciliation Week
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Contextual Science for Tropical Coastal Ecosystems
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procurement
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Broaden your knowledge about the rapidly changing 21st century careers landscape, why we have good reasons to be optimistic despite the many challenges, and what you can do to increase your chances of success in this evolving environment.
How long will the module take to complete?
Approximately 90 minutes
- Identify sources of information helpful in navigating the labour market in the 2020s
- Reflect on your proactive career management skills
- Understand the current top ten employability skills
- Plan extra-curricular activities to prepare for success in the 21st century job market
Working through this module
You will gain maximum advantage from this module by working step by step through the topics and activities. At the end of the module there is an ‘Additional Resources’ section where you can explore additional information about the subject matter to get that employability edge.
Download and save the ‘21st Century Work Ready’ Activity Book below.
- 21st Century Lab (2019). Ten Grand Challenges for the 21st Century. University of Lincoln.
- Adler, L. (2014). Are You a Terrible Manager? Or Just an Imperfect Fit? Inc. Retrieved from:
- Benjamin D., Komlos D. (2019). How to Tell if a Problem is Complex or Merely Complicated.
- Bennett, N. and Lemoine, J. (2014). What VUCA Really Means for You. Harvard Business Review.
- Bughin J. et al. (2018). Skills Shift: Automation and the Future of the Workforce. Mckinsey discussion paper
- Castrillon, C. (2019). Why A Growth Mindset Is Essential For Career Success. Forbes
- Cognizant. (2017). 21 Jobs of the Future: A Guide to Getting – and Staying – Employed over the Next 10 Years. Center for The Future of Work.
- Centre for the New Economy and Society (2018). The Future of Jobs Report 2018. World Economic Forum report
- Conn, C. and McLean, R. (2018). Bulletproof Problem Solving. The one Skill that Changes Everything. Hoboken
- Davis, T. (2019). 15 Ways to Build a Growth Mindset. Psychology Today.
- Deloitte Insights Editorial Team (2019). Why the Future of Work is Human. Report
- DeMuro, J. (2020). Best Blogging Platforms of 2020. Techradar.pro.
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment (2020). Skill Shortages.
- Department of Employment, Small Business and Training (2020). List of Professional Associations.
- Doherty, P.C. (2013). Pandemics. What Everyone Needs to Know. Oxford
- Doidge, N. (2008). The Brain That Changes Itself: stories of personal triumph from the frontiers of brain. Melbourne
- Dweck, C. (2014). TED Talk: Developing a Growth Mindset with Carol Dweck.
- Dweck, C. (2017). Mindset – Updated Edition: Changing The Way You Think to Fulfil Your Potential. New York.
- Epstein, D. (2019). Range. How Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World, London.
- Fisher, R., Ury, W. (2012). Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving in, United Kingdom.
- Gershon, I. (2017). Down and Out in the New Economy. How People Find (or Don’t Find) Work Today. Chicago and London.
- Foundation for Young Australians (2016). The New Work Mindset. 7 New Job Clusters To Help Young People Navigate The New Work Order.
- Gratton, L. (2020). The 100-Year life: Living and Working in an Age of Longevity. London etc.
- Gray, A. (2016). The 10 Skills You Need to Thrive in the Fourth Industrial Revolution. World Economic Forum. Retrieved from:
- Half, R. (2016). Hybrid Jobs: What Are They (and How Can You Get One)? Robert Half Website
- Harari, Y. (2020). How to Survive in the 21 Century. A World Economic Forum panel discussion video
- International Monetary Fund (2020). World Economic Outlook Reports.
- James Cook University (2013). JCU Graduate Attributes Statement
- James Cook University Careers Team (2018). Career Snapshots
- James Cook University Careers Team (2018). Let’s talk about skills.
- James Cook University Careers and Employability (2019). Skills Employers Want Info Sheet.
- James Cook University Careers and Employability (2019). JCU Job Ready.
- JobOutlook. Skills Match. Australian Government.
- Labour Market Information Portal (2020).
- Lufkin, B (2017). 50 Grand Challenges for the 21st Century. BBC Future.
- Malone, T. (2018). Superminds: The Surprising Power of People and Computers Thinking Together.
- Mazzucato, M. (2019). The Value of Everything. Making and Taking in the Global Economy.
- MIT Task Force on the Work of the Future (2019). Work of the Future: Shaping Technology and Institutions. Boston
- Moreau, E. (2020). How to Start Vlogging on YouTube. Lifewire.
- Musk, E. (2019). On Artificial Intelligence
- The National Academy of Engineering (2008). 21 Century’s Grand Engineering Challenges Unveiled (Press Release).
- Patterson, R. (2017). The T-Shaped Person. Building Deep Expertise AND Knowledge Base. College Info Geek website.
- Pinker, S. (2018). Enlightenment Now. The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress. Boston
- Pinker, S. (2018). TED Talk Is the World Getting Better or Worse? A look at the Numbers.
- Ruthven, P. (2015). Future Jobs – Where Will They Be? (a CEDA Video).
- Seeklearning. 7 Ways to Stay Up to Date in Your Industry.
- O’Sullivan, M. (2019) The Levelling. What’s Next After Globalisation. New York
- Schuman, M. (2020). Superpower Interrupted: The Chinese History of the World. New York
- Schwab, K. (2016). The Fourth Industrial Revolution: what it means, how to respond. World Economic Forum.
- Sinclair, D. (2013). TEDx Sydney A Cure for Ageing?
- Sinclair, D. (2019). Lifespan: Why We Age – and Why We Don’t Have To. Arita Books
- Snowden, F. M. (2019). Epidemics and Society. From the Black Death to the Present. New Haven and London
- Stanford, J. (2019). Future of Work for Australian Graduates. Australia Institute.
- Symeou, S. (2018). Career Transitions Are Possible at Any Age. ABC News.
- Tooze, A. (2018). Crashed. How a Decade of Financial Crises Changed the World.
- Tytler, R. et al. (2019). Jobs of the Future. Deakin University.
- Walsh, L. (2017). The Future of Work: 17 Jobs and Five Different Careers. Sydney Morning Herald.
- Wintour, P. (2020). Coronavirus: Who Will be Winners and Losers in New World Order? Guardian Online.