JCU Cleaning and General Services
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Campus Services
- Space, Timetabling and Room Bookings
- Campus Planning
- Information for Contractors
- Campus Maintenance
- Newsletters & Reports
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
The Estate Office provides a cleaning service to all buildings on Townsville and Cairns campuses.
Our objective is to:
- Maintain all areas to a high standard of hygiene and tidiness
- Implement best practices in cleaning operations
- Achieve efficient and effective performance
- Ensure the health and safety of staff, students and users of campus facilities
- Reduce our carbon footprint by implementing ‘green’ procedures
Cleaning services are undertaken from Monday to Friday between the hours of 0600 and 2400. Frequencies are outlined in communication folders found in tea rooms/common rooms and are specific to each space.
The cleaners are also responsible for the cleaning of covered external areas such as entry and exit areas, verandahs, balconies and undercrofts.
Requests for services or queries outside of the normal cleaning specification including quotations for additional cleaning, moving of furniture, exam set ups, carpet cleaning and sanitary services, should be submitted by the MEX Request Maintenance System with an accompanying account code.
Note: without an account code a request cannot be formulated into a work order enabling the work be carried out.
All cleaning contractors, are required as far as is practicable to use materials supplied by a Quality Assured Company as defined by the relevant standard in line with our “Green” Microfiber system introduced in 2010.
All cleaning staff are easily identified by their company uniform with company staff identification at all times.
Cleaning staff have been instructed not to move or touch items left on desks including items of equipment, papers, documents, books extra, regardless of whether they obstruct the cleaning services. Cleaning staff will only remove rubbish that is placed in a rubbish bin.
Quality Assurance checks are carried out weekly to ensure the terms of Contract are upheld and cleaning is evaluated against specified criteria. Ad-hoc inspections are also carried out regularly by Estate Directorate staff.
Any cleaning issues or complaints can be registered in the communication folders that are held in tea rooms/common rooms or submitted using the MEX system. It should be dated and signed by the requester. Once actioned, the item will be signed off by the cleaner.
Where there are ongoing problems please contact the Customer Service Desk extension 14444.
Since 2010 cleaning staff have been working with a complete environmentally responsible cleaning system.
- Reduced chemical use resulting in cost savings
- Up to 95% less landfill
- Reduced carbon footprint for users
- Easy to dispense and store
- Recyclable packaging
- Reduction of manual handling when mopping and wiping
- Significant bacteria reduction when compared with standard cleaning cloths
In conjunction with this system we use steam mops and Microfiber products for cloths, mop heads and dusters: the technology of these products is being hailed as one of the most significant product innovations to the cleaning industry in the last century.