Explore your Higher Degree by Research (HDR) options
Steps to applying for a Higher Degree by Research
Step 1: Check your eligibility
Check your eligibility for a Higher Degree by Research at JCU:
Step 2: Identify a research topic
Search for Available Projects or if you have your own project idea, go to step 3.
Step 3: Search for an Advisor
Use the University’s Research Portfolio to help you find an advisor. Try entering key words relating to your project/area of expertise in the search function. You can also view the JCU Register of Advisors. If you are unable to find an advisor you can submit an Expression of Interest for a Higher Degree by Research to assist in matching you with an advisor.
Download the Expression of Interest for Higher Degree by Research.
Step 4: Prepare your documentation
- APP-FORM-01 Higher Degree by Research Application
- Transcripts and testamurs for all qualifications completed or currently underway
- Proof of citizenship or residency in the form of a passport, birth certificate or visa
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- HDR Recognition of Prior Learning Application Form: PDF or Word
- JCU Scholarship Publication Table
- AIMS@JCU Application Coversheet
- Details of any cotutelle or external funding arrangements
Step 5: Apply
Complete APP-FORM-01 Higher Degree by Research Application Form and ensure that you have your other documents ready as listed in Step 4.
Select your course code from the Master of Philosophy or Doctor of Philosophy pages and hit 'Apply' to go to the Online Application Portal. Within the portal, follow the prompts under 'My Course Applications.'
Send the link for submission of Referee Reports to your two nominated referees. These should be referees who are able to provide information about you in an academic or professional context, such as previous research advisors/supervisors, lecturers, teachers or employers.
This is uni... but not as you know it
Affirming pharmacy healthcare for all
PhD Candidate Swapna Chaudhary researches how pharmacists can provide better healthcare to transgender and gender diverse people. This IDAHOBIT Day, her research emphasises affirmative care for all.
CO2 and the ink-credible squid brain
JCU PhD Student Jodi Thomas is investigating how rising CO2 affects squid behaviours.