- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- One Search
- A-Z Databases
- Books, DVDs & More
- Journal Articles
- Subject Guides
- Past Exams
- Research Online @ JCU
- Open Access Resources
- Subject Guides
- Online Information Skills Training
- LinkedIn Learning
- Endnote Library Guide
- Copyright - About the JCU Copyright section
- Copyright Officer for the University
- For Undergraduate Students
- For Postgraduate Students
- For Lecturers
- Copyright - Fair Dealing
- ePortfolios & Copyright
- Copyright, the Internet and Music
- Copyright - Creative Commons
- Copyright - Creating Works
- Copyright Warning Notices for Staff
- Copyright Acronyms and Terminology
- ResearchOnline@JCU - Copyright
- Helpful Copyright Links and Resources
- The Learning Centre
- Referencing Library Guide
- Annotated Bibliography
- Literature Reviews
- I am a
- Special Collections
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Study Spaces in JCU Libraries
The Townsville and Cairns libraries have different zones on each floor. Please choose a zone that is appropriate for your study needs and remember that the library is a shared space.
Some zones are only available during our opening hours. Please check the times for your local campus library.
At all times you should ensure that your valuables are not left unattended.*
Ground Floor - Collaborative Zone
First Floor - Quiet Zone
Second Floor - Silent Zone
Food and drink in the library
When using the study spaces in the library, please ensure your food is “library friendly”.
- Cold, quiet food (such as sandwiches and sushi) and covered drinks are welcome on all floors of the library, as long as they do not disturb other library users.
- Hot, noisy or “aromatic” food is welcome in the cafe, kitchenette and outdoor areas.
Please help us keep our spaces clean and tidy by:
- Putting your rubbish in the bins provided
- Cleaning up after yourself
- Letting us know if something needs our attention
Group study rooms
Teaching spaces can be used for group work when they are not being used for classes.
There are bookable group study rooms in both libraries.
Eddie Koiki Mabo Library
The bookable group study room and the InfoHelp Training Room (bookable by staff only) are both located on the Second Floor. These spaces are considered part of the Quiet Zone, but they are surrounded by the Silent Zone. Please be mindful of sound travelling, and keep discussions at a low volume.
The individual study rooms are not for small group or pair work. While using these rooms, wear headphones to make sure sound from your devices does not travel. Take any phone calls down stairs.
iLearning 3 (room 18.002C) room on the Ground Floor becomes a Silent Zone for after hours study. This space cannot be booked by students, but it is available for student use when there are no classes.
There are several bookable study rooms in the Cairns Library located on the First Floor (Quiet Zone) and the Second Floor (Silent Zone). Be mindful of sound travelling and keep discussions at a low volume.
How to report a problem
You can contact the library staff:
- In person at the InfoHelp desk on the ground floor of the library
- Online, using our contact details or feedback form
- Using our chat service.
Make sure you let us know which campus you are on, and which part of the library requires our attention.
*Powered lockers are available in the Eddie Koiki Mabo Library in Townsville