- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- One Search
- A-Z Databases
- Books, DVDs & More
- Journal Articles
- Subject Guides
- Past Exams
- Research Online @ JCU
- Open Access Resources
- Subject Guides
- Online Information Skills Training
- LinkedIn Learning
- Endnote Library Guide
- Copyright - About the JCU Copyright section
- Copyright Officer for the University
- For Undergraduate Students
- For Postgraduate Students
- For Lecturers
- Copyright - Fair Dealing
- ePortfolios & Copyright
- Copyright, the Internet and Music
- Copyright - Creative Commons
- Copyright - Creating Works
- Copyright Warning Notices for Staff
- Copyright Acronyms and Terminology
- ResearchOnline@JCU - Copyright
- Helpful Copyright Links and Resources
- The Learning Centre
- Referencing Library Guide
- Annotated Bibliography
- Literature Reviews
- I am a
- Special Collections
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- This is Uni
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Welcome to the James Cook University libraries.
Visitors, including the local community, are welcome to access the library facilities and to use information resources within the library buildings located on the Cairns and Townsville campuses. We give priority to the University’s students and staff, registered and authorised users, and may limit the use of facilities and services for visitors and non-JCU members.
Visit JCU Library on Facebook
Find, Learn and Connect
Our libraries provide knowledge services to support the University’s high quality education and world-class research through innovative discovery and access to:
- Information resources (electronic and print books and journals, databases, multimedia, archives, special collections, etc); and
- Information services in the physical and virtual environment
Membership and Borrowing
Visitors may join the Library for a fee in order to borrow resources for use at home.
JCU Alumni are encouraged to maintain their connection to the Library.
Some resources, such as journals and reference books, may not be borrowed and are only available for use within the libraries.
Visitors and authorised users may have walk-in access to electronic resources for study related purposes while in the library buildings. Due to license restrictions, some electronic resources may only be available to certain categories of users and members.
Visitors may access materials of interest in Special Collections.
Library staff will provide assistance in locating JCU library collections and resources, and with enquiries.
Library Service and Facilities
Visitors may use designated computers to access the library catalogue and online resources. Most computers are restricted to currently enrolled JCU students and staff.
eduroam: Affiliates of education, medical or research institutions that are eduroam participants can connect to the internet via our wireless network using their home institution logins. About eduroam at JCU.
School groups are welcome to visit the Library. See our services for local schools.
All users are welcome to use our Open Access Search to locate freely available scholarly resources.
Our Service Charter defines the standards of service you can expect from the JCU Library and how you can help to improve services.
Please check the Opening Hours as these vary depending on campus and the time of year.
Enjoy your visit and keep in touch