Partner with us
JCU has a proven track record in the delivery of high-quality research which delivers outcomes for our industry and community partners.
JCU Connect can assist your organisation with developing strategic partnerships and connect you with world-class University expertise across our global networks. We can work with you in a range of ways to assist your organisation to achieve goals, overcome pressing challenges and collaborate to discover new opportunities.
- Research and Development (R&D) partnerships.
- Professional and consulting services.
- Access to facilities, expertise, student talent, and networks.
- Access to government grants and tenders to support projects and problem-solving.
- Innovative thinking and commercialisation of great ideas.
When submitting an Invention Disclosure or Development/Commercialisation Query for James Cook University (JCU) staff only, you are required to use your JC number and password to login. For external or non-JCU staff members please use the general enquiry form to submit questions about business development and commercialisation opportunities with JCU.
First time logging in
- Click the link
- You will be required to login via ForgeRock Authentication with your JC number and password.
- You will then need to confirm your details - First Name, Last Name, Title, Main Department (you only need to do this the first time you log in). There are additional fields you you may wish to fill in, e.g. contact phone number.
- Once you have confirmed your details it will bring you to the dashboard where you can submit your Invention Disclosure and Development and Commercialisation Queries.
Submitting Invention Disclosure or Development and Commercialisation Queries
- Once logged in, click the "New Enquiry or Disclosure" button in the left-hand navigation bar.
- A pop-up window will appear, give your enquiry or invention disclosure a unique title and select type of submission - Invention disclosure or General Enquiry. Note: General Enquiries in the Inteum portal are only for business development and commercialisation queries, all other enquiries should be submitted via the JCU Connect's general enquiry form.
- Fill in the fields as required, you have an option to save as a draft or submit.
- Once you are ready to submit your disclosure form or enquiry, click "Submit for Review".
Tracking status or locating enquires
Drafts or submitted forms and enquires can be found by returning to the portal - https://jcu.inteum.com/jcu/inventorportal/
- Once logged in, click the "Enquiries/Disclosure" button in the left-hand navigation bar.
- Status and Review Stage will be visible on the dashboard.
- If you wish to continue editing a drafted submission, click "View" under the heading "Manage".
- If you wish to see more details or comments on submissions, click "View" under the heading "Manage".
For any further questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (07) 4781 5011.
JCU is passionate about innovation and making sure great ideas and inventions get to market.
JCU Connect’s Development and Commercialisation team offers advice to researchers on intellectual property protection and commercialisation of research outcomes as well as delivers education and training to staff through seminars and workshops.
The Development and Commercialisation team will provide personalised advice and support to:
- Assist with completing an Innovation Disclosure and Originators Statement.
- Determine the potential commercial value of an idea or design.
- Protect intellectual property.
- Obtain access to sources of funding to commercialise technology.
- Develop a commercialisation strategy.
If you have an idea you would like assistance developing, please submit the Invention Disclosure Form (JCU Staff) or General Enquiry (Non-JCU Staff).
Researchers must seek the advice of JCU Connect before entering into any discussions on legal or commercial terms with industry partners or external funding bodies.
Without endorsement from JCU Connect, no agreement governing research activities can be signed off by the University.
Authorities to sign contracts are detailed in the Council's Delegations of Authority.
For all contractual matters relating to research, contact email@example.com.
Outstanding research is the basis of the university's performance in world rankings, placing it in the top 400 universities world-wide^.
In 2018, JCU research was rated world-class or above in 83% of research fields, up from 78% in 2015#. This included the highest possible rating of well above world standard in 8 research areas and world standard or above in another 30 research areas.
^ 2023 Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings. # Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
Explore the links below to discover our current research:
Intellectual property (IP) is the property of your mind or proprietary knowledge. Basically, the productive new ideas you create. It can be an invention, trade mark, design, plant variety, circuit layout, database, software, literary works, laboratory notebook, scientific discovery, brand, know-how and other proprietary information or the application of your idea.
All enquiries about confidentiality in the context of protection and commercialisation of intellectual property should be directed to JCU's Development and Commercialisation Team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Staff who believe they have an invention, discovery, design, software or other research output that has the potential to be commercialised, please submit the Invention Disclosure Form or a JCU Connect general enquire if you are unsure.
The Sandpit to Seed (S2S) Program aims to bridge the gap between traditional sources of research funding and development funding from philanthropy, industry and investors. The aim is that supported projects, technologies and developments will lead to additional funding, partnerships and commercialisation outcomes such as licensing, start-ups, and ultimately new products, services and methods which have genuine impact.
JCU staff looking to become the next generation of innovators work closely with members of the JCU Connect team to further develop their idea or opportunity.
Opportunities will stem from existing research activities which require support to get to the next stage. For example, intellectual property protection, development of prototypes, proof of concept development, and the development of new ventures or spin-outs.
Submit a Sandpit to Seed Expression of Interest
Have an idea? Great!
New applications should seek in principle support from their ADR and/or Dean prior to applying
We invite you to login to the BrightIdea S2S site using the secure JCU single sign-on. Complete the required EOI information, select your sponsor and submit. Your sponsor will contact you directly and work with you to refine the proposal.
Commercialisation Advisory Group (CAG)
The CAG has been established to support a streamlined, innovative and commercially robust mechanism around decision making processes for investment in, and management of, opportunities developed within the JCU community.
In addition to making recommendations on the investment of S2S funds, the CAG provides strategic commercial advice on potential commercialisation pathways for JCU opportunities - including establishment of spin-outs, development of prototypes, engagement of expert advisors, and co investment opportunities. The CAG provides advice to the Director of JCU Connect, and the Board of the North Queensland Commercialisation Company (NQCC), a JCU entity through which JCU commercialisation opportunities may be advanced.
The CAG is made up of the following business and innovation leaders:
- Colin Ryan - Partner, PVW Partners
- Jan Bingley - Director Business Development and Commercialisation at La Trobe University; Venture Partner Significant Capital Ventures, Investment Committee member Tank Stream Ventures; Board Member Alertness CRC
- Allison McKay - Executive Assistant to the CEO and Business Development Manager for Pickerings Group of Companies
- Goslik Schepers - JCU Alumni; Investment Manager, Brandon Capital Partners
- Rachel Sciascia - Partner at Gadens
- Deb Verhoeven - Canada 150 Research Chair in Gender and Cultural Infomatics, University of Alberta
CAG Meeting Dates
The Commercialisation Advisory Group meetings will consider and assess S2S applications presented, and make recommendations on Sandpit to Seed funding allocation. The 2020 meeting dates are:
- 23 April 2020 (virtual)
- 22 June 2020 (virtual or face to face permitting)
- 8 October 2020 (virtual)
- 23 November 2020 (virtual)
Contact the Development and Commercialisation team
We would love to talk to you to discuss the stage of your project, what you would like to achieve, potential markets and partners and ways to protect your intellectual property via our online general enquiry form or email email@example.com.