Library Services for Schools
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- One Search
- A-Z Databases
- Books, DVDs & More
- Journal Articles
- Subject Guides
- Past Exams
- Research Online @ JCU
- Open Access Resources
- Subject Guides
- Online Information Skills Training
- LinkedIn Learning
- Endnote Library Guide
- Copyright - About the JCU Copyright section
- Copyright Officer for the University
- For Undergraduate Students
- For Postgraduate Students
- For Lecturers
- Copyright - Fair Dealing
- ePortfolios & Copyright
- Copyright, the Internet and Music
- Copyright - Creative Commons
- Copyright - Creating Works
- Copyright Warning Notices for Staff
- Copyright Acronyms and Terminology
- ResearchOnline@JCU - Copyright
- Helpful Copyright Links and Resources
- The Learning Centre
- Referencing Library Guide
- Annotated Bibliography
- Literature Reviews
- I am a
- Special Collections
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- This is Uni
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Who can use the Library?
The primary objective of the University Libraries is to meet the information needs of the staff and students of James Cook University. Schools are welcome to use the library collections and services in Townsville and Cairns within the guidelines outlined on this page.
Further information about the Library, its collections and policies is available from the Library's home page.
Students under 15 years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
What does the Library offer?
Access to print collections.
Coin operated photocopier.
The JCU website provides access to a wide range of information about the university, however access to subscription online resources such as journal databases is available to JCU staff and students only. Our Open Access Search can be used to locate freely available scholarly resources.
To find library items you need, use the catalogue which lists all the items held in the JCU collections.
Some material held in special collections may have restricted use conditions.
Adult members of the local community, and Grade 11 and 12 students are entitled to become Community Borrowers. Fees apply.
Your school or other organisation can become a Corporate Borrower. Fees apply.
Please see the staff at the Service desk for full details.
Students are welcome to visit the Library. They may use the collections within the building without charge or join the Library for a fee of $27.50 per annum. A parent or guardian must sign the registration form for those students who are under 18 years of age.
Staff at the Service desk will provide ready reference assistance, other duties permitting.
Schools Visiting the Library
School groups are welcome to visit the Library. Please contact us well in advance of any groups intending to visit.
All visiting groups must be accompanied by a teacher or parent.
Please check the Opening Hours as these vary depending on campus and the time of year.
For further assistance or information, please contact us