GATCF Desktop PC
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- MACRO New
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Tropical Queensland Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- General Information
- Audio Visual Services
- All JCU and associated video conference rooms
- Booking rooms for a videoconference
- Connection Guide
- Introduction to Video Conferencing
- Videoconferencing recommendations
- Videoconferencing Resolution
- Videoconferencing – Teleconference
- View JCU videoconference room details
- Vidcon History
- 4k Video
- AV survey
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Dell Optiplex 7460 All-in-one PC
!Please note there are no DVD drive bays on these computers!
Click anywhere on the screen to log in - use the JCU issued username and your password.
Log in to a PC or Mac by the JCU issued user name and your password - remember to change your password regularly.
|The side-mounted USB Type-C allows fast data transfer rates, while the USB Type-A (USB 3) with PowerShare port enables you to conveniently charge other devices, even when the system is shut down. And the Standard Media Card Reader SD4.0 allows fast data transfer from a variety of memory cards.|
In 2019 Dell Optiplex 7460 all-in-one PCs replaced the earlier versions of desktop PCs in most of the common teaching rooms in Cairns and Townsville. They run on the Windows 10 platform but without the touch screen option.
Toggle Display Function
Windows 10 offers an easy way to toggle the display between four different modes.
While holding down the Windows key on the keyboard (between Ctrl and Alt at the bottom left), press the P-key. The four options will be shown on an overlay which slides onto the PC screen from the right hand side. To change to the next setting, press the P-key again while holding down the Windows key.
This shows the desktop on the PC screen only
This shows the desktop on both the PC screen and a projector or flat panel display
This extends the desktop from the PC screen to a projector or flat panel display and is often used when presenting PowerPoint with notes (notes shown on the PC screen only)
Second screen only (projector or wall mounted flat panel displays/TVs)
This shows the desktop only on the projector or flat panel display
How to play a DVD
The new Dell 7460 GATCF PCs are not fitted with a drive bay for DVDs. As a short term workaround, VAVS in Cairns and Townsville can provide a portable drive which plugs into the GATCF PC by USB. Longer term, academics are advised to contact their College Desktop Support to get files converted and stored on line.
How to play a downloaded file
Assuming you have saved the file to a USB/memory stick:
Play the file by inserting the CD/DVD or USB stick in one of the USB slots spot then launch the VLC Media Player.
VLC can play any video/audio format known to the Internet. Make sure the audio on the computer is turned up and not muted. In lecture theatres fitted with touch screens also make sure the Source or Program Volume is turned up to a pleasant level. If you are in a room fitted with projectors, make sure the audio is routed to the same screen where the video is shown.
Please note a downloaded internet file, which plays perfectly well on your desktop in your office or at home, may not necessarily play as well on the In House Dell PCs due to configuration differences. Owing to the myriad of video and audio codecs on the net, we recommend playing them with the VLC Media Player which is part of the standard software package on the GATCF computers.
How to play a Youtube clip
Once you have logged into the PC, you will see a Youtube tile on the desktop – click on it to launch a browser which then takes you to the Youtube home on the net. You can either search for the clip in question or if you have the link to the Youtube clip , copy and paste it into the browser window.
How to present Powerpoint slide with notes
The PCs are usually set up to duplicate the screen which means what you see on the computer screen is what you see on the projector screen/flat panel display.
Press the 'Windows-key' and the 'P-key' to toggle the display options – a menu slides in from the right hand side of the screen showing you the options – while holding the down the windows-key, keep pressing the P key until the Extend option is selected then let go of both keys.
Ensure the Use Presenter View box is ticked in the PowerPoint Slide Show Monitor option before starting the slide show (see image below).
Mediasite Desktop Record
Mediasite replaces Techsmith in 2017 and the software has been installed on all Common Teach Room Dell AIO PCs. It uses the inbuilt PC camera and microphone. Some rooms will have the Mediasite hardware recording devices, indicated by the Mediasite control and status light located on the lectern/presenter's desk.
For more information about Mediasite, please visit the Mediasite help page.
Any desktop PC issues should be reported by logging a job with the IT HelpDesk or phone ext. 15500 (Townsville) or ext.21777 (Cairns)
For more information from the manufacturer, click on Dell Website