Roles and Responsibilities within the GRS
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
Graduate Research School
- HDR Candidates
- HDR Advisors
- Workshops and Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Available Projects
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
- COVID-19 Advice for HDR Candidates and Advisors
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Dean, Graduate Research
Takes overall responsibility for developing and administering policy associated with research training at JCU to ensure that appropriate strategies are in place for the recruitment of Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates, and that the University’s postgraduate research training programs have a high profile internally and externally.
Chairs the Research Education Sub-Committee and Sub-Committee Executive.
Ensures that appropriate levels of pastoral care are provided to HDR candidates.
Provides advice on HDR matters.
Ensures that appropriate levels of training are provided to academic staff and/or advisors of HDR candidates.
Works with the Senior Deputy Vice-Chancellor on broad strategic policy and resource issues.
Deputy Dean, Graduate Research
Act as Dean, Graduate Research as required.
Act as Delegate for the Dean, Graduate Research on their home campus as negotiated with the Dean.
Advise the Dean, Graduate Research on generic and specific problems concerning research higher degree candidates (doctoral and research masters).
Attend occasional intervention meetings with research higher degree candidates and academic/research staff of the University as requested by the Dean, Graduate Research.
Attend meetings of the Research Education Sub-Committee as a member of the Executive.
Research Education Sub-Committee
The Research Education Sub-Committee, or RESC, is a group appointed to monitor the supervision of research higher degree candidates at JCU. The RESC is the central University committee which oversees the workings of research higher degrees, formulates policy relating to the provision of supervision of the degrees and ratifies the various decision points during research higher degree candidature.