Becoming an Advisor
A strong working relationship between the HDR candidate and their advisor(s) is crucial to the successful completion of their research degree. To be effective, advisors must be available to supervise HDR candidates and to encourage and assist them to produce a thesis that constitutes a substantial and original contribution to knowledge in the field of study. Policies and procedures with respect to supervision of JCU HDR candidates are designed to promote healthy working relationships and thus enhance the learning and research experience of the candidate.
For JCU Staff and Adjuncts who are new to advising:
Professional Development tasks to be completed prior to applying for registration are:
- Attendance at a one day Initiate Session
- Review of the online modules and completion of reflective tasks at the end of each module (generate a declaration of completion as verification)
- Complete a series of written tasks and refer to firstname.lastname@example.org (Susan will provide an email to verify completion of the written task)
- Attach the completion certificate for the module and verification of written tasks to your application and submit to your Associate Dean Research Education, as Dean of College or Director nominee for approval
- Once approved by your college please forward the application to email@example.com for processing
For Experienced Advisors new to JCU
Please email Susan Gasson to request a one hour professional development session online or attend the Scaffolding program offered as part of the Initiate session.
Download the guide: How to access the HDR Advisor Organisation in LearnJCU
The HDR Advisor Organisation in LearnJCU is where you can complete the online modules and view a range of HDR Advisor professional development resources.
View the advisor application process here.