You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Services and Resources
Resources and Extras
- Element-to-stoichiometric oxide conversion factors
- Gunshot residue (GSR)
- FAQ ICP
- Routine geochemical element analysis @ AAC
- FAQ Organic
- SEM images of local insects – N.Queensland
- False coloured images
- Notes on sample preparation of biological material for SEM
- Routine XRF element analysis @ AAC
- How to view/edit element maps from Jeol 8200 EPMA
- Standard ICP element analysis @ AAC
- FAQ - XRD/XRF
- Links to other Facilities
- Resources and Extras
General sample requirements
In order to undertake laser ablation ICP-MS or MC-ICP-MS analysis samples need to be prepared in a format suitable for the sample chamber.
Typically samples are polished flat and mounted on either a glass slide or in an epoxy resin mount.
Glass slides should have a maximum length of 48mm and a maximum width of 25mm.
Resin mounts should be 25mm in diameter and have a maximum height of 7mm.