CASE CASE Student Resources

Apply now

CASE Student Resources

JCU's Student Centre is the number one contact point for student enquiries, with staff on hand to provide advice on courses, enrolment, subjects, fees, support services, scholarships, exams and directions.

Ask Us online provides 24 hour access to up-to-date information on the University’s policies and procedures and provides links to essential information for enrolling and managing your study at JCU.

For discipline-specific resources, refer to the links below.

Bachelor of Arts Advisory Group

Connecting the university and community, the Bachelor of Arts Advisory Group advises on measures to support the prospects of Bachelor of Arts graduates. The focus is on developing students' skills and competencies with regard to the contemporary needs of relevant employment sectors. This includes making recommendations on the program of Industry Engaged Learning activities in the course in relation to workplace needs.

Staff contact details

Bachelor of Arts Honours program

The Bachelor of Arts (Honours) degree is available for high-achieving students. It consists of extra study and the development of a personal research project and thesis. An Honours degree is usually essential for entry to research higher degrees. Students who have completed their degree with James Cook University or at other universities can apply.

Bachelor of Arts Honours Application Form

Work placements

Work Integrated learning at the College of Arts, Society and Education consists of Professional Education, Services Learning and Internships.

Professional Experience is a major feature in James Cook University initial teacher education program. Bachelor of Education students have at least one Professional Experience placement in each year of the program while Master of Teaching and Learning and Graduate Diploma of Education students have at least three placement opportunities to prepare them for the teaching profession.

Indigenous Teacher Education

Education at JCU has a proud history of providing teacher education for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Our graduates have gone on to make a difference to the education of all Australians through their work as classroom teachers, advisory teachers, school leaders and principals, education administrators, university academics, community and family members and leaders. We encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to consider a career as a teacher and make a difference in the lives of future generations.

InPlace Login

Login with your InPlace account.

Staff contact details

Field Education

Bachelor of Social Work and Masters of Social Work (PQ) students have the opportunity to participate in Field Education during their studies, to integrate theoretical learning with practice experience. Field Education, also called Placement or Practicum, requires students to undertake a total of 1,000 hours in a practice setting over two subjects and year levels.

Honours Students

Students are eligible to apply for admission to Honours when they meet the following criteria:

Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) [Embedded]: Students must gain the grade of Credit average and a Distinction in two subjects, complete SY2005 and WS3513 and achieve a satisfactory grade in Field Education I.

Bachelor of Social work with Honours (End-on): Students can apply to do Honours after graduating with a Pass degree. They should discuss their application with the HoAG and/or the Honours Coordinator. Achievement of an overall grade point average of 5.0 (i.e. credit average) across their bachelor degree, with credits or better in discipline-specific areas is required. Students graduating from a MSW (PQ) are also eligible to apply and will require a credit average.

Application Process: Students are required to complete the following:

A special Committee of the Social Work and Human Services Academic Group (SWHSAG) will be called to discuss the Honours applications after the Examiners meeting at the end of study period 2. This committee must comprise at least, the Honours Coordinator and the HoAG, or their representatives. It is expected that the Honours Coordinator will present the research proposals to the meeting in a summarised form. Students will be advised in writing of the results of their application soon after the Committee has met.

Social Work Academic Group

The Social Work Academic Group, which includes the Women's Studies Research Group, is committed to education and practice which are informed by critical insights into structural inequalities and inequities, and which contribute at both individual and collective levels to a socially just and sustainable society. The group seeks to achieve this through high quality teaching and research, critical scholarship and active community service. In doing so, the we acknowledge the traditional owners of Australia, value diversity and recognise the international context of practice.

Social Work and Human Services staff collaboratively and individually undertake strategic and applied research, consultancies and contracted professional development. They engage in this industry-engaged research and development in partnership with government departments at Commonwealth, state and local levels and with local, regional and national nongovernment organisations.

Past and current research activity of the Department has been grouped into the following areas of interest: Families, Children and Youth; Women and Gender; Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders; Regional, Rural and Remote Contexts; Community Well-being and Ecological Social Justice; Mental Health and Social Justice; Learning and Teaching; Human Rights.

InPlace Login

Login with your InPlace account.

Staff contact details

Enrolment enquiries relating to study plans and courses may be directed to the Enrolment team at  The Enrolment team can provide administrative advice on any aspect of your degree, including:

  • Change your degree or specialisation
  • Subject selection and changes
  • Deferment of study
  • Return to study after taking leave
  • Credit for previous study / Cross institutional study
  • Complete or exit your degree