What you need to do
Before preparing for a public health professional experience placement, please contact the Subject Coordinator for TM5571 Public Health Placement to discuss your options and the subject requirements:
Assoc. Professor Richard Franklin
College of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Veterinary Sciences
Phone (07) 4781 5939
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements for Students (updated 5 May 2022)
The following directions have been updated:
- Students are now included with employees as workers within a vulnerable setting for returning to work as a close contact.
- A student who is in the post-isolation period or a close contact can enter a vulnerable or high-risk setting if they:
- remain without symptoms consistent with COVID-19,
- comply with the vaccination requirements of the vulnerable facility,
- Advise the facility of their close contact status,
- Wear a surgical mask and/or comply with any other PPR requirements and
- Undertakes a COVID-19 test and receives a negative test result on the day of their first shift and every second day thereafter until Day 6
- Students are now included with employees as workers within a vulnerable setting for returning to work following international travel.
- Students who enter Queensland from a place outside of Australia are now permitted to enter a vulnerable or high-risk setting if they:
- comply with the vaccination requirements of the facility
- have no symptoms consistent with COVID-19
- undertake COVID-19 testing before commencing duties and every second day for 7 days,
- use appropriate PPE until 7 days have passed and
- the facility agrees.
Hospital entry guidelines (12 March)
A student is permitted to enter or remain at a hospital in the State of Queensland, if they:
- have received the prescribed number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Comply with face mask requirements and any other additional personal protective equipment requirements of the facility
- do not have symptoms consistent with COVID -19 and are not a diagnosed person; and
- have ceased being a diagnosed person, and it has been 7 days since the end of isolation.
A vaccinated student must provide evidence of having received the prescribed number of doses of their COVID-19 vaccine and a booster dose where eligible.
QLD Health - Hospital Vaccination clinics:
- Townsville Campus Healthcare Students: Townsville University Hospital COVID-19 Vaccination Hub (located in West End, opposite Castle Town and Townsville Showgrounds) info.
- Cairns Campus Healthcare Students: Cairns Hospital COVID-19 Vaccination info.
- Mackay Campus Healthcare Students: Can call 07 4885 6000 and ask them to transfer your call to the COVID vaccination clinic so that you can make an appointment.
Mater Health Facilities Queensland
Mater Health Facilities across Queensland require:
- Students who have been COVID-19 positive or a close contact must wait an additional 7 days following their release from isolation/ quarantine before entering a vulnerable facility. This means that anyone in isolation/ quarantine must wait 14 days before attending or resuming placement.
- If any student is planning international travel, they need to be aware that they are not allowed onto a Mater Site for placement for 14 days from their return date and adhere to the below steps;
- is fully vaccinated and up to date with their vaccinations including booster; and
- has no COVID-19 symptoms and is not a diagnosed person; and
- they undertake a COVID-19 test and receive a negative test result before commencing placement
- results need to be forwarded to your JCU Placement Coordinator
Arranging your placement
This guide will assist you to organise your professional experience placement. However, you may be required to fulfil additional requirements depending on where your placement will occur (e.g. a national Working with Children Check, current resuscitation certification, current vaccinations). Please confirm with a representative from the placement facility what their specific requirements are, and ensure you meet these requirements prior to beginning your placement.