Overseas Placements

Overseas Placements

In many of the disciplines students may express an interest in participating in professional experience placement in an overseas location. If this is available to you as an option with your course you will need to contact the Placement Coordinator for your discipline.

Students undertaking overseas Professional Experience Placements must obtain appropriate approval before departure. Depending on your course of study, your Placement Coordinator may request that you complete the Approval for Overseas Professional Experience Placement (PDF, 677 KB) form. Please ensure that you have received confirmation from your Placement Coordinator that your Professional Experience Placement has been approved.

Pre-Departure Checks and Insurance Registration

Once you have approval, you then need to commence your planning and arranging an itinerary for your travel.

The university requires that all students travelling overseas for professional experience placement lodge all travel information to JCU Insurance eight weeks prior to departure.

When you have your flights, itinerary and placement details than you are required to commence the process of registering your travel with JCU Insurance:

  1. Complete the JCU Overseas Travel Plan Diary (PDF, 1109 KB) and upload this form with your itinerary onto your computer.
  2. If you have a ‘private’ travel component to this travel then you are required to have private travel insurance. Ensure there is evidence of this insurance available on your computer.
  3. Register your travel with Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Smart Traveller) - take a screen shot of registration and upload the screenshot onto your computer for safekeeping.
  4. Register with Chubb Assistance (JCU preferred provider) by logging on through the link and then going directly to REGISTER and typing in the Membership Code: 04PP007672 and continuing entering in your details- take a screen shot of registration and upload the screenshot onto your computer for safekeeping. You will be asked to upload it when you go to Step 5 completing the Student Overseas Travel Submission form.
  5. When you have completed all the above steps, you can now commence completing the online Student Overseas Travel Submission form. Students will need to login using their JC Number.
  6. Complete the online form and upload documents as requested. During this process, Students will be required to:
    1. Read the Student Travel Insurance General Information brochure
    2. Provide a copy of additional insurance cover
    3. Upload a copy of travel/flights itinerary
    4. Upload a copy of JCU Overseas Travel Plan Diary
    5. Provide a copy of Smart Traveller confirmation of registration
    6. Upload a copy/screen shot of your Chubb Assistance confirmation of registration.
    7. Read the Overseas Travel Pre-departure Briefing

    When you have provided all the relevant information and uploaded the required evidence, your overseas professional experience placement will be registered with JCU Insurance.

In the event of an incident, accident or injury whilst on placement, please complete the Placement Incident/Accident/Injury Report.


OS-HELP is an Australian Government loan scheme that enables eligible Australian university students to access up to A$7,998. The amount is determined by the Department of Education and indexed annually. The loan is applied to students' HECS debts, and standard conditions apply. For further information, visit the Australian Government's Study Assist website.


Visit the Scholarships@JCU website to explore other options available to JCU students.