You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- Before You Start
- Conduct and Expectations
- Overseas Placements
- Other Australian States
What you need to do
As a JCU professional health student, it is your responsibility to ensure all pre-placement requirements (PPRs) are met. Please seek the advice of your placement coordinator or the Professional Experience Placement Unit to confirm the pre-placement information and resources related to other States, services and facilities. Please ensure you have read the guide to submitting PPRs.
View the 2019 Placement Calendar.
View the Veterinary Placement Checklist.
JCU Placement Procedure and Procedure for Infectious Disease
As a JCU professional experience placement student, you are required to read the Professional Experience Placement Procedures for students within the Division of Tropical Health and Medicine. The document contains vital information for all students of the Division of Tropical Health and Medicine (DTHM) about the responsibilities of both students and the University in relation to professional experience placement. The document also contains important information about the principles underpinning the administration of student placement.
You are also required to read the Procedure for Infectious Disease for students within the Division of Tropical Health and Medicine. This document guides students and the patients or clients they encounter regarding duty of care and minimising the risk of spreading or contracting vaccination-preventable infectious or blood-borne diseases.
After reading these documents you must sign the Student Declaration, which confirms you have read and understood the contents of both procedures, and email the signed document to the Professional Experience Placement Unit.
JCU Confidentiality Acknowledgement
You must complete and sign the JCU Confidentiality Acknowledgement every year.
In signing the Acknowledgement, you – the student – acknowledge that you have been instructed in the concept of patient, client and business confidentiality, and will respect clients’ confidentiality at all times, including during tutorials, lectures and discussions, both professional and private.
Download, complete, sign and email the Confidentiality Acknowledgement to the Professional Experience Placement Unit and retain a copy for your professional portfolio.
First Aid Certificate and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate
Students are required to complete an Australian Nationally Accredited First Aid and CPR training course prior to commencing your first professional experience placement, or by week 1 of the first teaching period, whichever comes first.
Please make an appointment that with a Registered Training Organisations that offer First Aid ‘Provide First Aid HLTAID003 (includes CPR)’ and/or CPR ‘Provide Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation HLTAID001’ training.
First Aid and CPR certificates from Queensland Health facilities (Non-Accredited Training Provider) and online courses are not accepted. Students must attend the training course in person. First Aid and CPR Certificates provided by Non-Accredited Training Providers will not be accepted.
First Aid certificates are valid for 3 years and CPR certificates are valid for 12 months only.
A copy of your proof of course completion (i.e. the certificate) must be emailed to the Professional Experience Placement Unit.
It is the student's responsibility to meet the costs of an Accredited First Aid and CPR course.
Health and Immunisation
It is a JCU requirement that ALL professional placement students have their doctor complete the JCU Health Record and Immunisation Form. The doctor cannot be a relative.
Further advice relating to vaccinations and immunisation is available through JCU Health General Practice, Level 1, Clinical Practice Building, JCU Townsville, or your doctor.
Recommended Vaccination Schedule at JCU Health General Practice.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology (Honours)
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture