You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
HDR Overtime Charge Procedure
Intent and Scope
To outline the details of the implementation and structure of the new HDR Overtime Charge which will be implemented from 1 January 2019 for all new JCU Higher Degree by Research Candidates.
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Policy Glossary in the Learning and Teaching domain of the University Policy Library, and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
Overtime: is >4 EFTSL consumed for a Doctorate Candidate or >2 EFTSL consumed for a Research Masters Candidate.
- For new candidates who enrol from 1 January 2019 a new charge called the HDR Overtime Charge will be implemented if a candidate becomes “overtime” where “overtime” is >4 EFTSL consumed for a Doctorate Candidate or >2 EFTSL consumed for a Research Masters Candidate.
- If a HDR Candidate has any “overtime” days represented by a status of “enrolled” or “leave of absence” they will be charged up to $4,000 per year (pro rata, calculated on a per day basis, ie., $10.96/day) to a maximum of $4000, regardless of whether the candidate is enrolled full time or part time or are on a “leave of absence” on those overtime days.
Example: If the Candidate had consumed 4 EFTSL on the 14th February 2023 and submitted their thesis on 15 July 2023, they would be 91 days overdue and be required to pay $10.96/day or a total of $997.
- Once the thesis has been submitted with all required documentation to the Graduate Research School for examination, the Candidate’s status will be changed to “Under Examination” and the Candidate will no longer be liable for the Overtime Charge. The thesis would then undergo the normal examination and completion procedures.
- If the candidate reaches the $4,000 cap of the overtime charge andsubmits their thesis more than 1 year past their “overtime” status taking effect, the candidate will be required to pay an additional charge of $1,000 before they can have their degree conferred and receive their testamur. The total Overtime Charge payable by the student would then be $5000.
- A candidate will not be able to have their degree conferred and receive a testamur until any outstanding HDR Overtime Charge has been paid.
- Any candidate who is also paying tuition fees when they are overtime may apply to have the HDR Overtime Charge waived. If a candidate is exempt from tuition fees while they are overtime, they will be charged the overtime charge.
- A domestic candidate or an international candidate who is not paying tuition fees in the semester in which they are liable for the HDR Overtime Charge may apply to have the charge waived.
- A candidate who withdraws from their HDR to avoid paying the fees is still encouraged to submit their thesis for examination. The thesis can be examined and a completion recorded in the Student Management System, however the candidate will be charged according to the Overtime Charge rate at clause 2, to a maximum of $5,000, and will not be able to have their degree conferred and receive a testamur until the $5,000 has been paid.
- The income from the HDR Overtime Charge will be received by the Graduate Research School and will be placed into the “HDR Rescue Fund”, which is used to fund stipends and project expenses for candidates who have been disadvantaged by matters beyond their control.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review:
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture