You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
- Report an Accident, Incident or Hazard
Injury and Illness Management
- Policies, Guidelines and Forms
Training and Induction
- Field Trips
Work-related incidents and injuries
What happens if I'm involved in a work-related incident or injury?
If you are involved in an incident or injury at work, please do the following:
- Seek medical assistance, if required.
- Ensure that your supervisor or manager is informed that you have suffered an injury or illness in the workplace prior to leaving the workplace or campus.
- Once your injury or illness has been assessed by a medical practitioner, you must report the injury or illness in RiskWare.
- If an injury has occurred that requires medical attention, you must also contact the WHS Injury Prevention and Management Advisor as soon as you are able: email@example.com or (07) 4781 6182.
- If you need to seek medical treatment (other than first aid), you will need to obtain a Workers Compensation Medical Certificate from your treating doctor. You will require this medical certificate if you wish to lodge a WorkCover claim to cover medical expenses or to request time off.
If you wish to lodge a claim for Worker’s Compensation, you must ensure that you have completed the following:
- Reported the injury or illness to your supervisor and logged it on RiskWare
- A WorkCover Queensland application form
- Provide a Worker's Compensation Medical Certificate from your treating doctor (note, a normal doctor's certificate is not accepted)
- A signed Worker Medical Authorisation Form
- Make copies of any receipts for out-of-pocket expenses relating to the injury or illness to be submitted for reimbursement
- Notified the WHS Injury Prevention and Management Advisor as soon as possible.
You may wish to contact the WHS Injury Prevention and Management Advisor to discuss the process.
When all documentation has been completed, please forward to the WHS Injury Prevention and Management Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Once your WorkCover claim has been accepted, any subsequent invoices or medical certificates that are required to be sent to WorkCover Queensland can be forwarded to email@example.com.
Time off work due to work-related injury or illness
Should you require time off work for your injury or illness (this needs to be stated on the Workers Compensation medical certificate – otherwise leave will be debited from your sick accrual), you will need to follow the HR Online process to access your leave accruals (these accruals will be reimbursed to you on acceptance of your WorkCover claim).
Returning to work
The WHS Injury Prevention and Management Advisor will, in coordination with you and your treating medical practitioner/allied health professional and supervisor/manager, develop a suitable duties/return to work plan. The suitable duties/return to work plan will be reviewed throughout the duration of your injury to ensure that you have a safe return to full duties.
If required, appropriate support strategies may be provided by external providers in consultation with the WHS Injury Prevention and Management Advisor.
Injury and illness management at JCU
- What is injury and illness management?
- What injury and illness management services are provided to JCU staff?
- What is Workplace Rehabilitation?
- What happens if I'm involved in a work-related incident or injury?
- What happens if I'm involved in a non-work related incident or injury?
Please do not hesitate to contact the Health, Safety and Environment Unit for further information or assistance:
Injury Prevention and Management Advisor
Phone (07) 4781 6182
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture