- Future Students
- Fees & Financial Support
- Exams & Results
- Important Dates
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
OS-HELP is an Australian Government loan used to help students undertake part of their course of study overseas. Students may receive one loan per six-month period, up to a total of two OS-HELP loans. The period of six months in relation to which a student is entitled to OS‑HELP assistance begins on the commencement date of the overseas placement. Loans are from a minimum of $2,000 up to a maximum of:
Payment in 2020:
- $6,913 in 2020 for study in non-Asian countries
- $8,295 in 2020 for study in Asian countries
Students may also receive a supplementary loan amount of $1,104 in 2020 to undertake language study in preparation for overseas study in Asia.
Please refer to the OS-HELP Statement of Terms and Conditions for a list of Asian countries.
You can apply for an OS-HELP loan if you are a Commonwealth supported student who meets the eligibility criteria. You are not eligible if you are studying your whole course overseas.
You will be ranked on the basis of academic merit. For more information see the Australian government's 2020 OS-HELP Statement of Terms and Conditions.
How to apply
Complete and submit an OS-HELP Loan Application. You will be notified of the outcome of your application by email within a maximum of 20 University working days.
The loan amount will be added to your accumulated HELP debt. You can make voluntary repayments of your HELP loan at any time to the Australian Taxation Office, otherwise repayments will automatically be deducted once you begin earning an income above the compulsory repayment threshold.
Lodging a review
The decision of the OS-HELP Selection Officer can be reviewed only on procedural grounds. A review must include a copy of the letter you received from the Selection Officer and details of the complaint together with supporting documentation.
It must be lodged within 20 University working days from the date you were notified of the outcome of your application.
Submit your review to:
OS-HELP Review Officer
James Cook University
Townsville, QLD 4811
You will receive notification in writing of the outcome of your review within 20 University working days; the decision of the Review Officer will be final.