You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Indigenous Students
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Help and Support
- Accounts and passwords
- Bring your own device
- Computer labs
- Eduroam WiFi
- Email and O365
- IT Help Desk
- Collaboration Tools
- Mobiles and telephony
- Secure IT
- Videoconferencing and audiovisual
Work from home
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- ICT Service Catalog
Wireless Setup - Windows
The following self-help guide is for clients that have Microsoft Windows 8 or 10 operating systems installed on their laptop. It is written with the assumption that you are using the built in Windows Wireless configuration. If you have a 3rd party wireless configuration program see our troubleshooting tips below for additional advice.
Click the wireless icon in the system tray.
Select eduroam from the list of available WiFi networks.
Tick the connect automatically box and click Connect.
In the Username field enter your full JCU email address.
In the Password field enter your JCU Password.
Click OK to connect.
You will see another window asking if you wish to continue connecting, click Connect.
Sometimes you may encounter issues with connecting to the wireless network on campus. Following are the more common issues that are experienced and some suggested solutions.
Eduroam doesn't show up in the available network list?
First make sure that you are in a wireless supported location. We have extensive wireless coverage on all our main campuses and remote teaching sites. Outdoor areas near the buildings will generally have decent coverage, while the further you move from a building, the weaker the coverage becomes.
Then make sure that your wireless card is enabled on your laptop. Most laptops these days ship with either a software or hardware switch that can be used to enable / disable your wireless card. See your laptop manufacturer’s manual for the location of this switch if you are unsure.
I can't authenticate to Eduroam
First of all - try to connect again. Wireless networks in general are less stable connections than fixed lines so are more susceptible to signal loss or timeout.
Check that you’re entering your full JCU Email Address and Password correctly. Test that it works for other JCU Online Service like Webmail, if not then email firstname.lastname@example.org and request a password reset for your JCU computer account which should resolve the problem.
If you can log into Webmail then try binding your authentication credentials to the wireless profile:
- Go to the Wireless Network Properties.
- Select the Security Tab and click on the Advanced Settings button.
- Tick the specify authentication mode box and select user authentication from the drop down menu.
- Click on the Save Credentials button.
- In the User name field enter your full JCU email address.
- In the Password field enter your JCU password.
- Click OK on each window to close and save changes.
Another program is managing wireless can I still connect to Eduroam?
Yes, but writing a detailed guide for every type of wireless software available is outside the scope of this document. Please check the User Guide supplied with your computer for more information.
Most of the time the software is fairly straightforward, and the manufacturer's online help should be able to provide you with further assistance.
Alternatively, disable the 3rd party software and allow the Windows operating system to manage your Wi-Fi adapter.
If you require further assistance with configuring your device to connect to the JCU wireless network then support is available for Staff and Students on both the Townsville and Cairns campuses, more information can be found here.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture
- Pathway to University Bridging Courses
- Get Into University Without an ATAR
- Get Into University Courses with a Low ATAR
- Dentistry School Courses
- Midwifery Training Courses
- Pharmacy School
- ECE Degree Online
- Physiotherapy School
- Primary Teaching Degree Online
- Sports Science University
- High School Teaching Courses
- Pre Registration Nursing Courses