You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
- About JCUJCU Connect
- Cairns Institute External
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Courses and Study
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Veterinary Science
Course by level
Cities, campuses and study centres
- Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Fees and Financial Support
Exams & Results
- Student forms
The Learning Centre
- Learning Centre Services
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Booklets
- Safe work and study at JCU
Research and Teaching
I want to...
About JCU Research
- Research Performance
Research Centres and Institutes
- Division of Research & Innovation
- Celebrating Research @JCU
- JCU Research Contacts
- Master's by Research
- Fees and Scholarships
- I want to...
Partners and Community
Help and Support
- ICT Forms
Staff IT Essentials
For those of you returning, welcome back and for those of you pursuing a career at James Cook University (JCU) for the first time, welcome to James Cook University. We’ve put together a list of information that we hope you find useful:
Visit the ICT Communications Hub for the latest news and updates.
As a member of the JCU community, you have a Computer Account, which provides access to computing and communications facilities, information systems and resources available to staff at JCU.
Read Account Information:
Orientation and Induction Training
The Staff Induction Online website introduces you to JCU and contains an overview of how the University works from the perspective of a staff member.
As part of the induction, new staff members receive an IT training voucher, found in your Induction Pack. To book your training session with an IT Support Officer contact IT Help Desk.
This training will cover
- The Managed Operating Environment installed on JCU staff computers
- Access to Online staff resources such as LearnJCU, HR Online
- Access to the JCU Email and Calendaring Service
- How to go about contacting IT Services and Support in the future.
IT Help Desk Contacts and Support
Information and assistance are available from the IT Help Desk or via the web through the ServiceNow Web Self Service Page. The ITHelpdesk can be contacted by email ITHelpdesk@jcu.edu.au or by phone during business hours +61 7 4781 5500 Option 1.
|Campus||Hours||Staff IT Enquiries|
Internal Ph: 15500
Internal Ph: 21777
MIS +65 65766811 - 814.
Ph: 07 3001 8001
After Hours Contact Numbers for Critical ICT Services
To report a critical incident outside normal business hours, contact the ICT Duty Manager:
- Internal Ph: 16954 / 16955 or
- External Ph: +61 7 4781 6954 or 4781 6955
NOTE: these phone numbers are not for general enquiries.
Office 365: Email, Calendar, Skype for Business and Office Online
As part of your employment, you are provided with a Microsoft Exchange Online account to manage your business email, calendar, contacts and tasks. This account is provided for the duration of your employment at JCU. More information is available on the Office 365: Email, OneDrive and Office page.
You can use the calendar to arrange meetings. When used with other staff members’ calendars, meeting times can be arranged efficiently by finding common free times with all attendees. For more information on using email and calendar, see Staff Email @ JCU.
Skype for Business
You can use Skype for Business to contact other JCU staff members on all campuses. Skype for Business is now integrated with Office and allows you to organize Skype meetings from within Outlook. To find out how to use Skype for Business @ JCU see the online Skype for Business Guide
As a staff member, you can access your JCU email, calendars and contacts from your computer or mobile device. You are authorized to install Office Online on up to 5 devices, simply follow the instructions for installing onto Mobile devices. You can also gain access to email, calendar and software via a web browser with Office 365 by logging on at staff.jcu.edu.au using your JCU email address eg Joseph.Bloggs@jcu.edu.au and password.
Various email aliases exist for subjects, courses and organisational staff aliases, these are available from the Contacts page and are for use by lecturers, tutors, students and staff. Staff and students can also join lists to receive information or participate in discussion forums in LearnJCU.
It should be noted that these are for academic and professional purposes and that inappropriate use of JCU's Email service may incur a penalty under the ICT Acceptable Use Policy policy.
Videoconferencing and Audio Visual Services
As a member of staff, you have access to Videoconferencing software and facilities provided by JCU:
- Zoom Videoconferencing is available to JCU staff, for information using Zoom please refer to the Quick Start Guide.
- Videoconferencing and Audio Visual systems (VAVS), include:
- Common Teaching Rooms,
- Desktop Videoconferencing, or
- Videoconferencing bookings
Visit Videoconferencing and Audio Visuals Services for extensive information including user guides, virtual room tours and technical resources.
Work From Home (Off Campus Access)
As a member of JCU Staff you have access to some files and services off campus, including:
Bring Your Own Laptop or Mobile Device
If you choose to BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) eg: personal laptops or mobile device, on campus, then there are a few links that might prove useful so you get the best experience:
Phones at JCU
JCU provides two main telephony services, Avaya office phones and mobile device services, further information is listed below.
- Avaya Phone User Guides
- Mobile Phone and Wireless Data
- Email Setup for Mobiles
- Office for Mobiles
- iPhone Guide
- iPad Guide
If you are looking for software that may be available for staff to install on their own computer, you may benefit from software agreements that vendors provide for staff. We negotiate various software agreements for staff and students. Advice on these agreements can be found on the Software Supplier Agreements and Offers page.
There are several online services which you will need to know about for your time at JCU. These services provide you with gateways to employment and teaching information.
The online services for staff include:
- LearnJCU - the university-wide online learning environment. It’s used for accessing subject materials, group sign up, submitting assessment, checking grades, viewing eLectures and communicating and collaborating with your peers. Learn JCU can be accessed on your mobile device by installing the Blackboard Mobile Learn app.
- eAcademic Search for information about students, subjects (including timetables) and courses.
- My HR Online – used to access pay records, leave entitlements and personal details.
- StaffOnline – intranet site containing web applications for staff.
Staff have access to these and other information and services from the Staff website.
Staff members at JCU have access to a variety of hardware and services on request. Use the appropriate form to request hardware or service after appropriate consultation
- Decommission IP Request Form
- New IP Request Form
- Shared Mailbox Account Registration Form
- Delegate Account - User Registration Form
- External Account - User Registration Form
- Change your Password
- Requisition for Communications Cabling Alteration or Installation
- Requisition for Telephone Alteration or Installation
- Requisition for Mobile Phone, iPad, Tablet, Sim Card
GATCF Computing Labs
Staff at JCU may be required to utilize computing facilities on campus called General Access Teaching and Learning Facilities. Relevant information about the GATCF includes:
- General Access Labs: Locations and Availability (GATCF)
- Standard Operating Environment, including hardware and software
- Logging into lab computers
Policies and Procedures
James Cook University is committed to complying with Australian copyright laws. All users of the University facilities, resources, infrastructure and systems are required to comply with Australian copyright laws and with University policies and guidelines on copyright, information technology and the use of communication facilities at JCU.
All staff members are required to comply with various government legislation, as well as JCU’s policies and guidelines, as a condition of their employment. These conditions include the appropriate use of ICT resources at JCU. The Code of Conduct states that these resources are provided for use on university-related business with limited personal usage allowed.
Relevant JCU policies and guidelines that you should be aware of are located in the JCU Information and Communication Technology Policy Library.
- Confidentiality and use is covered by the ICT Acceptable Use Policy and Procedures.
- JCU also has a duty of care under Australian Commonwealth legislation to filter and manage access to the Internet and to manage and control the use of Copyright Material. As a result, you may find access to some websites is restricted.
- Information Management policies are available from the University Policy Library.
Computing and communications systems and resources form a significant part of the University budget. To ensure these resources are used efficiently, the university records, monitors and reports on storage and internet usage. For staff, this is managed by alerts and exceptions. A 25GB quota is set for electronic mail but all email is archived. You will receive warnings to purge email should you exceed this quota. If unsure, contact InfoHelp.
The University also collects or receives personal information of a user in the course of managing the operation and use of its communication facilities. Confidentiality and use is covered by the Information Security Monitoring and Audit Policy.
Follow the ICT Communications Hub for the latest news and updates from ICT.
Information on system maintenance windows, which are performed regularly to provide better services, is available from the ICT Scheduled Maintenance page
For those who would like to learn more about ICT at JCU there are regular Lunch and Learn seminars on a range of topics.
Events and news releases and links to events, newsletters and notices are on @JCU.