Student Email @ JCU
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Student IT Essentials
- Staff IT Essentials
- Help and Support
- Stay Informed
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- ICT Service Catalog
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
All current JCU students have access to O365 (Microsoft Office 365) which includes a JCU Student Email account. The login for your O365 account is your email address: Firstname.Surname@my.jcu.edu.au and your current password.
If you are unsure of your email address or password please contact the IT Help Desk.
Please read the following policies so you understand your responsibilities. Failure to comply could see you locked out of your account!
Email for life
Students who successfully graduate from their course at JCU are granted Alumni status with the University and entitled to retain access to their @my.jcu.edu.au email account.
Once you graduate, you lose access to the benefits an enrolled student receives, eg: Microsoft Office 365 and other Office apps, that are part of the student Office 365 license.
Access email anywhere on computer, phone or tablet
If you are a current undergraduate or postgraduate student, you can access email by logging in on any computer in GATCF computer labs or Libraries in Townsville, Cairns, Mackay and Thursday Island. If you have an internet connection you can also access email from your personal computer at home, on campus or overseas.
If using your own computer on campus connect to JCU Wireless Service (eduroam) before following the steps below.
- Log in to the computer.
- Open a supported Web Browser.
- In the address/location field type http://my.jcu.edu.au/
- Enter your JCU email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) into the “Windows Live ID Field” and your password into the “Password Field”. Then select Sign In.
If using a shared computer DO NOT select “Keep me signed in”.
- This launches O365. The first time you use O365 mail, a window will open asking you to choose a language and Time Zone.
Make sure that you have selected the correct settings (Queensland users should choose UTC +10:00 Brisbane).
- Your account will open into your Email, with your email folders displayed on the left and messages on the right.
To set up email on your Phone or Tablet – please refer to Mobile Devices at JCU.
Each student has a 50GB email quota – mail, calendar(s), tasks and contacts all count towards your quota usage.
If the data stored in your email account exceeds your quota you will be sent a warning message, this is your reminder to delete old emails.
How to check your quota
- Log in to your JCU Student Email account online
- Navigate to Settings > Your App Settings > Mail > General > My Account to see your current mailbox usage.
Change your password
If you’d like to change your password check out the JCU Change Password Guide.
Your new password will be synchronised across all JCU Online Services, including your email account. It can take up to 1-2 hours for the synchronisation process to complete.
Do not use the password change option in the Outlook Web App, as this will not synchronise with your other JCU online services, e.g. LearnJCU, eStudent, Students Online, etc.
Emails sent to your JCU student email account can be forwarded to another email address. Read Forward email to another email account to find out how.
Contacting other students and JCU staff
There are a number of email aliases and lists provided by JCU to promote communication, you can find these on the Contacts page.
Please review the ICT Policies before using any of these lists.
You can also send email from within LearnJCU. After logging in, go to the Communications area on your LearnJCU window, and choose Send Email, this will allow you to email to subject Class Aliases.
Spam and viruses
Spam is unsolicited email, usually sent in bulk. Microsoft provides a full virus and spam scanning service for all O365 mailboxes. For information on spam along with guidelines for naming and safely opening attachments see the Email Spam and Attachments Guide.
The University uses Windows Defender (SCEP) Anti-Virus Software to check all incoming and outgoing email messages, Defender (SCEP) is installed automatically on all JCU owned computers. For more information on viruses and anti-virus software, please read our Computer Virus Guide.
As a JCU Student you have access to LinkedIn Learning, login with your JCU student email address and password if prompted. LinkedIn Learning is a wealth of information containing tutorials and self-paced activities that will enable you to master Outlook for the PC or Mac.
The following course may be of interest: O365 Outlook Essential Training
Need more help?
Please contact the IT Help Desk who will be happy to assist you further.