- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Student IT Essentials
- Staff IT Essentials
- Help and Support
- Stay Informed
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- IT Service Catalog
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
Windows Defender (aka System Center Endpoint Protection (SCEP) on Mac and Windows 7 and 8) is the anti-virus and security software package used across all JCU campus locations and installed on JCU owned computers.
Windows Defender or SCEP is a part of the Windows Defender Security Center and protects your device in the following ways:
- Virus & threat protection - provides real-time protection, scanning your downloads and programs running on your device as well as custom scans
- Account protection
- Firewall & network protection - see what’s happening with your networks and Internet connections
- Device security - built-in security options to help protect your device from attacks by malicious software and the ability to see threats that have been quarantined before they can affect you
You’ll see that some of these areas display a status icon:
- Green means your device is sufficiently protected and there aren’t any recommended actions.
- Yellow means there is a safety recommendation.
- Red is a warning that something needs your immediate attention.
Am I Protected?
JCU ICT has configured Windows Defender (or SCEP) to automatically update and keep you and your data as safe as possible on JCU managed systems. When Defender (SCEP) is working, you may see the following screen appear on Windows 10 computers.
If on a Mac then the SCCP screen appears as follows.
Scan on Demand
If you suspect that you might have malware or a virus on your device, you should immediately check your device by running a quick scan or performing a scan on the file folder or device (eg: USB drive) that may be affected.
To run a quick scan in Windows Defender Security Center, select Virus & threat protection, and then under Threat history, select Scan now.
If you want a more specific check of your device’s safety, run one of the advanced scans in Windows Defender Security Center. To access advanced scan options, select Virus & threat protection, and then under Threat history, select Run a new advanced scan. On the Advanced scans screen, select one of the following options:
- Full scan - Checks the files and programs that are currently running on your device.
- Custom scan - Scan specific files or folders on your device.
- Windows Defender Offline scan - Run this scan when you are concerned that your device has been, or could potentially be, infected by a virus or malware.
To scan specific files or folders, right-click the file or folder, and then select Scan with Windows Defender.
What About my Personal Computer?
All JCU staff and students will be able to continue using the free version of Sophos for personal machines or if using Windows 10 for Home, Defender is installed and available by default.
Neither product is supported by JCU on personal computers.
If you would like to know more about using Defender on your personal computer please refer to:
Please note, the features and configuration options discussed in these articles are not available on JCU owned or managed computers.