You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Help and Support
- Accounts and passwords
- Bring your own device
- Computer labs
- Eduroam WiFi
- Email and O365
- IT Help Desk
- Collaboration Tools
- Mobiles and telephony
- Secure IT
- Videoconferencing and audiovisual
Work from home
- Choosing a strong Password
- Data Protection
- Device Security
- Email Safety
- Online Security at Home
- Web Safety
- Malware and Virus Protection
- Keep a clean device
- Protect myself from phishing
- Recover a hacked or compromised account
- Protect your digital reputation
- Report a cybersecurity incident
- Password Manager
- ICT Service Catalog
Changing your Password
There are a few situations where JCU will require you to change your password, these include:
- Upon commencement with JCU; or
- In the event of a security event; or
- At periodical intervals as defined in the ICT Access and Account Management Procedures.
In order to change your password you must login using your JCU username and current password.
If you don't know or have forgotten your username and/or password, or have been locked out by failed attempts please contact the IT Help Desk who will be able to assist you with resetting your JCU computer account password.
Before attempting to change your password please read the following information which will provide you with advice on choosing a safe password and a list of rules which must be followed to create a valid password on the JCU system.
Your Username and Password security are your responsibility so don't share it.
No JCU staff member can tell you your current password and we will never request this information from you.
Choosing a Safe Password
The importance of using a secure password can't be emphasised enough.
Your password is the way the computer verifies that someone logging in is really you, so pick something that cannot be guessed.
The top reasons people gain unauthorised access to a password protected system is: they guessed someone's password, often because they found it on a piece of paper next to the victim's computer or because they saw the person type the password in, but also because they use software programs that are VERY good at guessing common passwords.
The Following guidelines will guard against someone finding out your password and gaining unauthorised access to your account:
Make your password as long as possible. The longer it is, the more difficult it will be to attack the password with a brute-force search. Passwords must be a minimum of 8 characters long and should be 11 or more.
Use unique passwords. Make sure you use a unique password for every online service you use.
Avoid publicly available information. We share a lot on social media, do not use personal information in your password that someone else is likely to be able to figure out. Obviously, things like your name, phone number, date of birth and address are to be avoided.
Avoid common words. Don't ever be tempted to use one of those common passwords that are easy to remember but offer zero security. e.g. "password", "letmein" or key sequences that can easily be repeated. e.g. "qwerty123","asdf1234" etc.
Change it periodically. It is a good habit to change or rotate your passwords on a regular basis, every 6-12 month.
Your password must meet the following conditions to be accepted as valid:
Minimum length of 8 characters
In addition, ALL of the following character rules must also be met:
Must contain at least 1 number (0 - 9)
Must contain at least 1 uppercase character (A - Z)
Must contain at least 1 lowercase character (a - z)
A password will be deemed invalid if it contains any of the following:
Cannot contain either your login id or elements of your email address or name
Cannot contain spaces
Cannot contain these characters %, [, ]
No more than 3 repetitive characters ( e.g. aaa is valid, but aaaa is not)
Note: Passwords can only be changed or reset once per day and accounts are locked out of the system for an hour should there be 3 failed login attempts.
How long does it take to update?
The password change will take effect on most JCU systems within a few minutes and be fully synced within the hour.
If your new password still won’t allow you access after 2 hours then please contact the IT Help Desk for further assistance.
Once your password has been synced across all systems you will be able to use the new password to log into the GATCF Labs, email, LearnJCU, eStudent and Students/Staff Online.
Forgotten Passwords and Disabled Accounts
If you have forgotten your password or your account has been disabled you need to contact the IT Help Desk.
A temporary password will be issued to you upon verification of your identity which MUST be changed immediately following the guidelines mentioned above.
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture