Change course (Variation to Study)
- Future Students
- JCU Student Contract – Terms and Conditions
- Townsville and Cairns medical services
- Student Membership and Representation Opportunities’
- Student Support
- Academic Support
- Student Mentor Program
- Student Travel
- ICT Services
- Ask Us
- Fees & Financial Support
- Exams & Results
- Important Dates
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Taking Online Exams
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Learning in a Virtual Environment
- Learning Online
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Fish Passage Planning and Design
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Tropical Queensland Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
If you have completed subjects under your current admitted course, you may be eligible to apply for a course transfer.
Ineligible courses for Course transfer
Please note for the following undergraduate courses you must submit a new course application, you cannot complete a change of course. Please refer to the process here.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing and Midwifery, or
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
If you wish to transfer to a course not listed above and:
- are a new domestic student and have not yet studied any subjects, please use the change of preference form.
- are looking to study a subsequent or concurrent degree complete an Application to study at JCU form
- are seeking to study Honours, speak to your course coordinator.
If you are a JCU Brisbane or JCU Singapore student, please contact you respective enrolment team.
For any other student please follow the steps below.
Steps to apply
Step 1 – Choose your course
Go to the JCU Course and Subject Handbook to browse courses.
Step 2 – Meet application eligibility criteria and course requirements
- Have no outstanding Sanctions in place that prevent enrolments of subjects;
- International sponsored students must have permission from their sponsor to transfer courses;
- Have met the Course and Subject Handbook Requirements for the new course
Step 3 – Complete forms
Complete the Variation to Study application.
If you have completed study at another tertiary institution and are seeking credit towards your new course please complete an Application for Credit.
Closing dates for applications are listed under Important Dates.
When will you hear back
We will endeavour to email your JCU student account with an outcome within 20 University working days of receipt of a complete application. Some application outcomes may take longer.
If you are unsuccessful, you will remain admitted to your current course.
If you are successful, once you are admitted into the course you are transferring to you will be automatically withdrawn from your current course. We recommend you read the Course Transfer Procedure which includes further information around the assessment of an application.
For further information, visit Ask Us – there are more than 1,000 commonly asked questions and answers available 24/7.
Top course transfer questions include:
- How are course transfer applications assessed?
- If I change courses, do I need to fill out a new Commonwealth assistance form?
- What happens to my current enrolment if I receive a course transfer?
- Can I apply for a course transfer if the program does not offer mid-year intake?