Current Students Enrolment Return to study (Variation to Study)

Return to study (Variation to Study)

If you previously discontinued your study with JCU, and would like to recommence in the same course, you may apply to return to study.

Online system outage - important service impact for applicants

Please note that we are currently undertaking a planned system update. During this update prospective students will not be able to apply directly via the online JCU portal or accept any current offers via eStudent or the JCU App. Applications through the QTAC website are unaffected, as the update is only to JCU systems. For urgent application enquiries, please email

Outage starts: Thursday 23 May 2024 5:00 pm AEST (3:00pm SGT)

Outage ends: Monday 27 May 2024 8:00am AEST (6:00am SGT)

Who cannot apply to Return to Study?

International students are not approved to return to study, they are required to re-apply through the Application to study at JCU form.

Domestic students wanting to return to one of the following courses must apply via QTAC:

  • Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
  • Bachelor of Dental Surgery
  • Bachelor of Physiotherapy
  • Bachelor of Health Science (Physician Assistant)
  • Bachelor of Nursing and Midwifery, or
  • Bachelor of Veterinary Science

A return to study application will only be considered if:

  • You can complete the professional practice requirements of the course;
  • Your course or major is still available; and
  • You do not have a current suspension or exclusion under the Student Conduct Policy or Academic Progression Policy

Complete the Variation to Study application.

If you have completed study at another tertiary institution since discontinuing at JCU and are seeking credit towards your course please complete an Application for credit.

Closing dates for applications are listed on the Academic Calendars.

We will endeavour to email your JCU student account with an outcome within 20 University working days of receipt of a complete application. Some application outcomes may take longer.

If you are unsuccessful, you will be advised of your options.

We recommend you read the Coursework Enrolment Procedure which includes further information around the eligibility, assessment and outcomes of an application.  In particular please note:

  • Credit previously granted will be reassessed
  • You may be required to repeat subjects which had been completed before the interruption of the course, and/or to undertake additional work to demonstrate current competencies or to comply with current course requirements.

More questions?

For further information, visit Ask Us – there are more than 1,000 commonly asked questions and answers available 24/7.

Useful Links