Current Students Enrolment Taking a break from study (leave of absence)

Taking a break from study (leave of absence)

Once you have started your studies you may find that you need to take a break. You can take a break without approval for up to 12 months unless the following applies to you:

  • you are studying one of the course listed here, or
  • your planned leave is longer than 12 months and the Course and Subject Handbook permits this
  • you are an international student, or
  • you are studying at the Singapore campus

If you do need to apply formally you must have completed at least one subject under your degree. If you are a new student and have not completed any subjects and wish to commence at a later date you should apply to defer.

Taking a break from study will be counted as a period of enrolment toward your maximum time to complete.

A leave of absence is available to international students studying on a student visa only in limited circumstances (under the ESOS Act, National Code 2018).

You must provide a statement outlining compassionate and compelling circumstances that are beyond your control and have an impact on your course progress or well-being. You must also attach documentation to your application to support this statement.

We recommend you talk to an Enrolment and Student Support Advisor before lodging your application. Email, or book an appointment. You will also need to contact the Department of Home Affairs to find out how this request may affect your continued studies in Australia.

It is a student visa condition that your address remains current on our records, please log into eStudent and update your phone number, address and personal email.

Complete a Leave of Absence Application:

JCU Leave of Absence Application Form (for Cairns, Townsville, External and Study Centre Students)
JCU Brisbane Leave of Absence Application Form

If approved, any subjects you are enrolled in during the approved leave period will be automatically withdrawn (this only applies to subjects where the census date has not yet passed).

If you are or expect to receive a payment for a scholarship, taking a break from study could mean your scholarship is deferred or terminated. Please refer to the specific rules of the scholarship you are receiving or contact Scholarships for further information.

If you are receiving an Undergraduate Commonwealth Scholarship paid by JCU, your payments will be suspended while you are taking a break. You can defer scholarship payments for up to one year. After that time, your scholarship will be terminated. To arrange deferral of your payments, contact Scholarships.

If you are receiving a Start-up Scholarship and/or a Relocation Scholarship your scholarship payments will be suspended while you are on a leave of absence. For more information, please contact Centrelink.

If you had to apply formally for a leave of absence, to return early or extend your leave of absence, send an email from your JCU account to your Enrolment Team.

Update your address, phone and personal email address in eStudent to ensure you receive communications about the outcome of your application and when your leave has finished. If you are leaving the country, add a temporary address while you are on leave.

More questions?

For further information, visit Ask Us – there are more than 1,000 commonly asked questions and answers available 24/7, or you can Contact the Student Centre.

Useful Links