Updates to JCU Email Security
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders in Marine Science
- Future Students
Fees & Financial Support
- Student Finance Team Contacts
- Domestic undergraduate subject fees
- Financial support
- Defer your fees
- Pay your fees
- Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSA Fee)
- Postgraduate subject fees
- Refunds and withdrawal under special circumstances
- Penalties for unpaid fees and late withdrawals
- Reviews and Appeals
- Incidental & Administration Fees
- Eligibility Conditions for Commonwealth Assistance
- Unique Student Identifier (USI)
- Assessment and results
- Academic Calendars
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Taking Online Exams
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Bookings (Peer Advisor)
- Learning in a Virtual Environment
- Learning Online
- Orientation for Intensive Courses
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Reputation and Experience
- JCU Contact Information
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- AusAsian Mental Health Research Group
- Area 61
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- WHOCC for N&M Education and Research
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Centre for Disaster Solutions
- Cyclone Testing Station
- The Centre for Disaster Studies
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Research Division
- Services and Resources Division
- Education Division
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Financial and Business Services Office
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
- Graduate Research School
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Engagement
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- Inherent Requirements
- IsoTropics Geochemistry Lab
- IT Services
- International Schools
- International Students
- JCU Connect
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Events
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Ideas Lab
- JCU Job Ready
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- JCU Turtle Health Research
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Mabo Decision: 30 years on
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Virtual Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to university
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Contextual Science for Tropical Coastal Ecosystems
- State of the Tropics
- Strategic Procurement
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Student profiles
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- JCU has implemented safety measures to ensure your email (and your personal information) is secure.
- You will notice safe links implemented on all emails coming into your inbox that contain hyperlinks.
- Attachments will also be scanned to ensure they do not contain malicious content.
- If you can't access a website or attachment you think you should be able to, contact the IT Helpdesk.
Improving Email Safety at JCU
Email attacks are increasing, and the most common way in which JCU accounts are compromised is when we click on a malicious link in an email.
From 01 June 2020, JCU will make changes to all JCU Student email accounts to improve email safety in the form of Microsoft Office Advanced Threat Protection (ATP).
What is ATP?
ATP is a service from Microsoft that protects users from malicious threats posed by email messages, URL links and collaboration tools.
The protections cover three areas (though JCU is implementing Safe-Links and Safe-Attachments in Phase One of the ATP deployment):
- Safe-Links – protects against malicious URLs embedded in your received emails by scanning and re-writing the URL. This helps prevent phishing attacks.
- Safe-Attachments – protects you against zero-day malware which cannot be detected by traditional anti-virus tools.
- Protection for Sharepoint/OneDrive – extends the above protection to Sharepoint, OneDrive and Teams.
What do ATP Safe-Links look like?
In emails you receive, hyperlinks will be rewritten by Safe-Links and may appear different than the original. If you hover over a link in an email, you will notice the hyperlink URL begins with the Microsoft ATP proxy server eg: apc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com:
What will Safe-Links do?
Safe-Links rewrites every URL found in an incoming email in order to determine if the URL is safe to view.
- When a URL in an email is clicked, Safe Links performs a scan to determine if the link is malicious.
- Safe-Links also scans any documents available on that link at the time of click to prevent malicious file downloads to your system.
- If the link is determined to be safe, you will proceed as expected; if the link is determined to contain malicious content, you will be redirected to a warning page.
Only links in incoming email are rewritten, so any emails that you create and send to someone outside of JCU won't be altered.
What will Safe-Attachments do?
Safe-Attachments will scan any email attachment sent to you, and if malicious content is detected the email will be quarantined at an admin level. As the user you won't be able to retrieve the attachment.
Frequently asked questions
What do I do if I see a malicious or phishing email?
What do I do if I am blocked from accessing a legitimate website?
If you are trying to access a familiar and legitimate web site please contact the IT Helpdesk to request assistance.