Current Students Enrolment Withdraw from subjects or your course

Withdraw from subjects or your course

During your time studying at JCU, your circumstances may change. You may find that you want to cut back on subjects or that the course you are enrolled in isn't for you.

JCU offers a range of support services for students who are confused about their academic future as well as academic guidance when it comes to your enrolment including changing your course, withdrawing or taking a break from study.

Find out how to withdraw from subjects or your course and explore your options below.

Withdrawing from subjects

You can withdraw from your subjects online at any time. However, you must ensure you withdraw before the subject Census Date. If you don't, you will be financially liable for that subject.

If you have withdrawn from a subject after the Census Date, due to special circumstances which were beyond your control, you may be able to apply for a subject fee refund/removal of your HELP debt.

It's easy to withdraw from a subject:

  • Log in to eStudent
  • Click on the My Study Plan tab
  • On the side menu select Study Plans to select your current degree
  • At the bottom of the page click on the tab Withdraw from Subjects
  • Select the checkbox for the subject you want to withdraw from and click Withdraw from Selected Subject/s button
  • You will be given the opportunity to confirm your withdrawal request
  • A withdrawal confirmation page will then be displayed listing the subjects that you have successfully been withdrawn from.

Every time you change your enrolment it's also a good idea to go back and confirm your enrolment – just in case. To do this, click on Current Enrolment. At the bottom of this page, you can request for your current enrolment to be emailed to your JCU email account.

If you are receiving a scholarship, make sure you check the rules first as withdrawing from a subject may affect payment. Contact the JCU Scholarships team if you need help with this.

Related links

Before you withdraw

Before withdrawing from your course, it's a good idea to consider the different options and resources available to you:

  • Consider changing your enrolment. Contact your Divisional Enrolment Team for advice about changing your major, your study load, or changing from on-campus study to external.
  • Not sure if you're in the right course for your chosen career path? Contact a Careers Counsellor for advice.
  • Talk to a Student Support Officer from your College. They can help you achieve your educational goals and connect you with relevant support services.
  • Visit a Learning Advisor or check The Learning Centre online for tips on study skills.
  • Need a break from study? Taking a formal ‘leave of absence’ allows you to take a break from your studies and guarantees a returning place in your course..
  • Want to transfer campus? You can apply to transfer permanently or temporarily to another JCU campus.
  • Are personal issues affecting your studies? Make an appointment with a JCU Counsellor. They can help with a range of issues and offer free and confidential counselling to students studying both on and off-campus.
  • If you have successfully completed a minimum of eight undergraduate or four postgraduate subjects in your course, you may be able to graduate with a different award. Contact your Divisional Enrolment Team.

Domestic students

Fill in the online form to request to be withdrawn from your course.

If requested, you will be contacted to discuss your options.

If you are withdrawn from your course, you will lose access to your JCU Office 365 account within 30 days. Remember to transfer any personal files, including important emails in your @my.jcu account to a personal storage device.

International students

International students wishing to withdraw from their course should contact the International Student Support team to make an appointment.

Withdrawal from your course may also impact your Student Visa, so you should consider this before withdrawing.

International students should contact

JCU Singapore students should email

JCU Brisbane students should email to discuss withdrawal.

Ask Us