Exam rules and expectations
- Future Students
- JCU Student Contract – Terms and Conditions
- Townsville and Cairns medical services
- Student Membership and Representation Opportunities’
- Student Support
- Academic Support
- Student Mentor Program
- Student Travel
- ICT Services
- Ask Us
- Fees & Financial Support
- Exams & Results
- Important Dates
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Taking Online Exams
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Learning in a Virtual Environment
- Learning Online
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
It is your responsibility to ensure that you are aware of the Exam type, date and start time of your exam
Prior to sitting an exam, please read through the Examination Requirements Policy – this document includes the full list of exam rules and procedures.
The following exam types will ask you to provide photo ID:
- On-campus online Respondus exam
- On-campus hard copy exam
- On-campus Oral exam
- On-campus Practical exam
This can be your JCU Student ID card, driver’s license or other photo ID.
Exam rules in summary
- Have your photo identification ready at the start of the exam if required.
- All instructions for your exam will be provided to you on your LearnJCU subject site,
- If your exam is on-campus you may receive additional instructions once you enter the exam room.
- Follow the exam instructions provided to you at all times, which may be provided in LearnJCU subject sites and on campus in the exam room.
- If on-campus, follow the exam supervisor’s instructions at all times.
- Do not communicate with anyone during the exam.
- Do not used unauthorised materials during the exam.
Do not copy other students or allow others to copy your work.
You must refer to the instructions provided on your timetable. This will provide you a start date, start time and may have a window of time during which you can access and submit your exam.
Arriving late to your exam room on campus
You can enter the exam room within one hour of the official start time, with permission from the exam supervisor.
If you start your exam late, either on-campus or online you will not be given additional time to complete the exam. If there are exceptional circumstances for not being able to start your exam on time you may wish to consider applying to defer your examination; however a deferred exam will only be granted under exceptional circumstances.
Please refer to the specific instructions provided by your Subject Coordinator on your LearnJCU subject site.
All instructions, including for on-campus exams will be on your timetable which will direct you to your LearnJCU subject site. You, may also receive further information two weeks prior to your exam from your subject coordinator.
Each on-campus exam has its own list of items you can take with you into the exam room. Check the details for your exam carefully at Students Online two weeks before the start of the exam period.
The following items are permitted in all JCU exams:
- pencils, pens, erasers, whiteout, rulers and a clear bottle of water with the label removed..
If you have a medical condition and need access to special materials and/or medication or in your exam, see Special requirements in exams.
Breaches of the exam rules
Any breach of the exam rules will be dealt with, as appropriate, by the subject coordinator n the first instance. Where inappropriate student conduct or academic misconduct is suspected, these breaches will be reported to the Director, Student Services.
Student Academic Misconduct Procedure
Contact the Student Centre
Top exam FAQs:
What if I’m running late for an exam?
What if I’m feeling sick on the day of the exam?
Where can I find past exams?
What is a supplementary exam?
When can I access my timetable for a deferred or supplementary exam?