You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- One Search
- A-Z Databases
Books, DVDs & More
- Subject Guides
- Past Exams
- Research Online @ JCU
Visiting the Library
- Open Access Resources
- Subject Guides
Online Information Skills Training
- Endnote Library Guide
- The Learning Centre
- Referencing Library Guide
- Annotated Bibliography
- Literature Reviews
Interlibrary Loans & Document Supply
- Off Campus Library Service
Copying, Printing, Binding & Laminating
Group Study Rooms
Improving the Library
- Client Service Charter
- Social Media, Suggestions & Feedback
- Opening Hours
Work from Home
If you have a computer or mobile device (eg: iPad or Android Tablet) you can work from home accessing JCU files, software and services that you use at work, including email, LearnJCU, HROnline and eStudent. The following guides provide a walkthrough to get you connected when working from home.
- Internet access. Don’t forget you can also tether (join) the internet using your Apple or Android 3G/4G service.
- Virus protection installed on your home computer. If you don’t, you can download and install Sophos Home.
- Up to date Windows or Apple security patches installed.
- If you need access documents on Corp File Shares (the file shares mapped on your work JCU computer) you must install and configure the FortiNet Client on your device, then set up a VPN connection on your:
Once you complete the actions above, you can:
- Access your work file shares
- Access web-based applications such as HROnline, StaffOnline etc.
Note it is important when you stop using your home (personal computer/mobile device) for work purposes that you disconnect from the VPN connections.
You can also remotely control a computer from home or while travelling using Remote Desktop. This allows you to use the data, applications, and network resources that are on your office computer, without being in your office.
Software for Staff use at home
Under the Terms and Conditions of JCU software Agreements, the installation of certain software products on a personally owned Staff computer is permitted. The software must be used for JCU purposes only and a list of available software is below, Singapore Staff please consult the eligibility page.
- Adobe Creative Cloud more information available on the IT Comms Hub
- Microsoft O365 (Office 365)
Please read individual licensing agreements above, as some software is restricted to particular staff groups or locations.
Other resources are cloud based and can be accessed as long as you have an internet connection, these include:
- Email, contacts, calendar and tasks
- Office Online (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- OneDrive for Business. You can sync your files down from the cloud to your home computer if you wish or work entirely in the cloud
- Microsoft Teams
- Zoom for meetings
- Other O365 applications
- JCU Web sites requiring authentication
- Library online resources
- Digitally signing Adobe PDFs