FEE-HELP is a government loan program available to Australian citizens, permanent humanitarian visa holders and some New Zealand citizens for deferral of their subject fees.

If you are:

  • an Australian citizen, or
  • a permanent humanitarian visa-holder, or
  • a New Zealand citizen who meets certain criteria,

your course is not Commonwealth supported, and you meet residency requirements, you are eligible for a FEE-HELP loan. If you have used FEE-HELP before, you must also ensure you have not reached the maximum limit.

Trained overseas professionals who want to undertake bridging study at JCU and have met specific eligibility criteria can also apply for FEE-HELP.

To defer your feed with a FEE-HELP loan, submit the Request for FEE-HELP assistance form through eStudent. See defer your fees for more information.

Please note: The Australian Government has made changes to Higher Education, effective from 1 January 2018, as well as to the test for Australian Citizenship (for applications made after 20 April 2017). To find out how these changes may affect you, refer to the StudyAssist and the Department of Home Affairs websites.

You can make voluntary repayments of your HELP loan at any time to the Australian Taxation Office. Otherwise, repayments will automatically be deducted once you begin earning an income above the compulsory repayment threshold.

Each study period and trimester, JCU will provide you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN). This notice details how much you have been charged and the amount of FEE-HELP debt you incurred for that study period or trimester.

The CAN only shows the current study period or trimester, not your entire FEE-HELP debt. For a complete statement of your accumulated HELP debt, contact the Australian Tax Office.

You can also keep track of how much you have borrowed through a FEE-HELP loan at the Government’s myUniAssist website. You’ll need your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) to log in (found on your CAN).

Please note: myUniAssist will not show your entire debt balance or any payments made.