- Future Students
- JCU Student Contract – Terms and Conditions
- Townsville and Cairns medical services
- Student Membership and Representation Opportunities’
- Student Support
- Academic Support
- Student Mentor Program
- Student Travel
- ICT Services
- Ask Us
- Fees & Financial Support
- Exams & Results
- Important Dates
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Taking Online Exams
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Learning in a Virtual Environment
- Learning Online
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTD
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
FEE-HELP is a government loan program used by Australian citizens, permanent humanitarian visa holders and some New Zealand citizens to defer payment of their subject fees.
Am I eligible?
If you are:
- an Australian citizen, or
- a permanent humanitarian visa-holder, or
- a New Zealand citizen who meets certain criteria,
your course is not Commonwealth supported, and you meet residency requirements, you are eligible for a FEE-HELP loan. If you have used FEE-HELP before, you must also ensure you have not reached the maximum limit.
Trained overseas professionals who want to undertake bridging study at JCU and have met specific eligibility criteria can also apply for FEE-HELP.
The Australian Government is proposing changes to Higher Education from 1 January 2018 and to the test for Australian Citizenship (for applications made after 20 April 2017). To find out how these changes may affect you if the legislation is passed, refer to the StudyAssist and the Department of Home Affairs websites.
Steps to defer
Submit the Request for FEE-HELP assistance form through eStudent. See defer your fees.
When do I repay my loan?
You can make voluntary repayments of your HELP loan at any time to the Australian Taxation Office, otherwise repayments will automatically be deducted once you begin earning an income above the compulsory repayment threshold.
How do I view my FEE-HELP balance?
Each study period, JCU will provide you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice. (CAN) This notice details how much you have been charged and the amount of FEE-HELP debt you incurred for that study period.
The CAN only shows the current study period, not your entire FEE-HELP debt. For a complete statement of your accumulated HELP debt, contact the Australian Tax Office.
You can also keep track of how much you have borrowed through a FEE-HELP loan at the Government’s myUniAssist website. You’ll need your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) to log in (found on your CAN). myUniAssist will not show your entire debt balance or any payments made.