COVID-19 Advice for the JCU Community - Last updated: 19 October 2021, 8am (AEST)

Current Students Fees & Financial Support Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs)

Apply now

Commonwealth Assistance Notices (CANs)

Each study period, JCU will provide you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN). This notice details any payments you have made and your HELP debt balance for that study period.

Your CAN is issued for each study period you are enrolled in and can be accessed by Commonwealth supported students within 28 days of each census date.

Login to eStudent, select the My Documents tab and select Search. Leave the following fields blank before selecting Search Document Name and Study Package.

If you are unable to access your CAN online, please contact the JCU Student Centre.

JCU will email all students as a courtesy notice only. You don't need to do anything except check that it is correct.

If you believe it is incorrect, you will have 14 days from when your CAN was issued to notify us by emailing

No. Your CAN will only show the current study period, and only your study load at JCU, not your entire HELP debt. For a complete statement of your accumulated HELP debt, contact the Australian Tax Office.