- Future Students
- JCU Student Contract – Terms and Conditions
- Townsville and Cairns medical services
- Student Membership and Representation Opportunities’
- Student Support
- Academic Support
- Student Mentor Program
- Student Travel
- ICT Services
- Ask Us
- Fees & Financial Support
- Exams & Results
- Important Dates
- Student Life
The Learning Centre
- Taking Online Exams
- Services Available
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Academic Integrity
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Module Booklets
- Learning in a Virtual Environment
- Learning Online
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
- Graduate Research School
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- VAVS Home
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTD
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
SA-HELP is a Commonwealth government loan program used to defer payment of the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSA Fee).
Am I eligible?
If you are:
- an Australian citizen, or
- a permanent humanitarian visa-holder, or
- a New Zealand citizen who meets certain criteria,
and you meet residency requirements, you are eligible to defer payment of your SSA Fee by submitting an SA-HELP form.
The SA-HELP form needs to be completed in addition to either the HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP form to defer subject fees.
New Zealand citizens (who do not meet certain criteria), permanent residents and international students are not eligible for this loan and must pay the SSA Fee up-front.
Steps to defer
Submit the Request for SA-HELP assistance form through eStudent. See defer your fees.
When do I repay my loan?
You can make voluntary repayments of your HELP loan at any time to the Australian Taxation Office, otherwise repayments will automatically be deducted once you begin earning an income above the compulsory repayment threshold.
How do I view my SA-HELP balance?
Each study period, JCU will provide you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN). This notice details the SA-HELP debt you have incurred for that study period.
The CAN only shows the current study period, not your entire HELP debt. For a complete statement of your accumulated HELP debt, contact the Australian Tax Office.
You can also keep track of how much you have borrowed through an SA-HELP loan at the Government’s myUniAssist website. You’ll need your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) to log in (found on your CAN). myUniAssist will not show your entire debt balance or any payments made.