SA-HELP is a Commonwealth government loan program available for deferral of the Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSA Fee).

If you are:

  • an Australian citizen, or
  • a permanent humanitarian visa-holder, or
  • a New Zealand citizen who meets certain criteria,

and you meet residency requirements, you are eligible to defer payment of your SSA Fee by submitting an SA-HELP form.

New Zealand citizens (who do not meet certain criteria), permanent residents and international students are not eligible for this loan and must pay the SSA Fee up-front.

Submit the Request for SA-HELP assistance form through eStudent. The SA-HELP form needs to be completed in addition to either the HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP form to defer subject fees.

See defer your fees for more information.

You can make voluntary repayments of your HELP loan at any time to the Australian Taxation Office. Otherwise, repayments will automatically be deducted once you begin earning an income above the compulsory repayment threshold.

Each study period and trimester, JCU will provide you with a Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN). This notice details the SA-HELP debt you have incurred for that study period or trimester.

The CAN only shows the current study period or trimester, not your entire HELP debt.  For a complete statement of your accumulated HELP debt, contact the Australian Tax Office.

You can also keep track of how much you have borrowed through an SA-HELP loan at the Government’s myUniAssist website. You’ll need your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) to log in (found on your CAN).

Please note: myUniAssist will not show your entire debt balance or any payments made.