You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
- About JCUJCU Connect
- Cairns Institute External
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Courses and Study
- Why JCU?
- Arts and Social Sciences
- Biomedical Sciences
- Environmental Management
- Health Studies
- Information Technology
- Marine Science
- Nursing and Midwifery
- Occupational Therapy
- Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Social Work
- Speech Pathology
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Veterinary Science
Course by level
Cities, campuses and study centres
- Services and support
- QTAC Packaged Offers
- International Students
Fees and Financial Support
Exams & Results
- Student forms
The Learning Centre
- Learning Centre Services
- Getting Started
- Peer Assisted Study Sessions
- Develop Your English
- Maths and Statistics
- Short Courses and Workshops
- Downloads and Booklets
- Safe work and study at JCU
Research and Teaching
I want to...
About JCU Research
- Research Performance
Research Centres and Institutes
- Division of Research & Innovation
- Celebrating Research @JCU
- JCU Research Contacts
- Master's by Research
- Fees and Scholarships
- I want to...
Partners and Community
Generalist Medical Training Governance Policy
To describe the policy governance arrangements for Generalist Medical Training (GMT), being a program within the College of Medicine and Dentistry at James Cook University that is delivered under contract to the Australian Government as part of the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) Program.
This policy applies to all staff, Supervisors, contractors and sub-contractors, and Registrars employed or engaged by JCU in its capacity as a provider of general practice training services under the AGPT Program.
GMT is required to develop and publish local policies that complement the AGPT Program policies.
(Cl 1.8 - Australian General Practice Training Program Policies 2017).
“Registrar” means medical practitioners undertaking formal training through the AGPT Program.
“Supervisor” means a vocationally registered general practitioner employed or engaged by the training post and accredited by GMT to deliver training according to the training standards of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and/or the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine.
“GMT policy” in the sole context of JCU’s contract to deliver AGPT services shall include procedures and the term policy or procedure may be used interchangeably on JCU’s GMT website to comply with the AGPT Program requirements.
- GMT is a program delivered by James Cook University.
- James Cook University, through the College of Medicine and Dentistry, has additional and specific obligations and responsibilities within its AGPT Program contract with the Australian Government.
- JCU is able to make specific policies in relation to matters pertaining to its delivery of the Australian General Practice Training program, including but not limited to:
- Registrar management including complaints and grievances
- Supervisor and Medical Educator management
- Training placement management
- JCU policies and procedures for the GMT program are limited in scope to staff, Registrars, Supervisors, contractors and sub-contractors employed or engaged by JCU to support the delivery of the AGPT Program.
- GMT policies and procedures shall be consistent with James Cook University policies and procedures. Where an unintended conflict exists between a GMT policy or procedure and a JCU policy or procedure the GMT policy or procedure shall take precedence. Consistency between JCU and GMT policies and procedures is the responsibility of the College of Medicine and Dentistry.
- Where there is a conflict between an AGPT policy and a JCU and/or GMT policy or procedure the AGPT policy or procedure will take precedence.
- All GMT policies and procedures must meet the requirements of this GMT Governance Policy. Any GMT policy or procedure that does not meet the requirements of this GMT Governance Policy must be disestablished as soon as practicable.
Related policy and procedure instruments
JCU Policy and Delegations Framework JCU Policy Library
- Withdrawal from Training Policy and Procedure
- Training Assistance, Monitoring and Remediation Policy and Procedure
- Registrar Review of Training Decision Policy and Procedure
- Part-time Training Policy and Procedure
- Training Post Assistance and Monitoring Policy and Procedure
- Transfer Policy and Procedure
- Registrar Complaints Policy and Procedure
- Supervisor Policy and Procedure
- Critical incident Procedure
Related documents and legislation
Contract between the Australian Government Department of Health and James Cook University for and on behalf of Generalist Medical Training, for the delivery of the AGPT Program.
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing. Approval Details
Date for next Major Review (in accordance with the Policy Handbook)
|18-1||25/05/2018||Administrative amendment to add procedures to list of 'Related policy and procedure instruments'.||Quality, Standards and Policy Officer|