You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Community and Indigenous Language Allowance
The community language allowance is an annual superannuable allowance payable to a staff member, who is required to undertake duties in the University on a regular basis in language(s) other than English.
A staff member is eligible for the community language allowance outlined below, where there is an identifiable and continuing operational requirement for the staff member’s language skills.
Additionally, the employee’s language competence must meet the recognised standards of the University to be eligible for the community language allowance.
An eligible part-time employee will be paid the appropriate community language allowance rate on a pro-rata basis.
$1,165 per annum
National Accreditation Authority for Translators & Interpreters (NAATI) Level One accreditation and certificate.
At least one (1) year post matriculation higher education in the language required for additional duties.
Recognised level of competency to deliver client services in languages for which NAATI does not test.
$1,641 per annum
A University major in the relevant language to second year or higher achievement.
Recognised tertiary qualification in interpreting.
Accreditation at NAATI Level 2 or higher.
Demonstrated equivalent multi-language skills.
The Indigenous Language Allowance is an annual allowance payable to a staff member who is required to undertake duties for the University on a regular basis in an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander language.
$1,641 per annum
Proficient language skills for general business and/or conversation
This allowance will be paid on a fortnightly basis.
The line manager will make a recommendation regarding this allowance to the relevant Head of Work Unit who will make a recommendation to the Director HRM.
Related policy instruments
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Services and Resources
Human Resources Committee
Date for next review:
Description of changes
|18-1||16/03/2018||Updated reference and link to JCU Enterprise Agreement 2016.||Quality, Standards and Policy|
|17-1||09/08/2017||10/08/2017||Mid-year review of HR Policies in line with the HR Operational Plan Item, Deliver Policy Reviews; Fitness for Future Purpose.||Deputy Director, Human Resources|
|16-1||Policy review date extended to 31/12/17 on request by Deputy Director HR. Approved by DVC Services and Resources||Quality, Standards and Policy|
Policy sponsor and approval authority amended to reflect approved policy framework.
Community language, Indigenous language, Allowance
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture