You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Arts, Society and Education
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
General Practice Training Governance Policy
To describe the policy governance arrangements for James Cook University’s General Practice Training program (JCU GP Training), being a program within the College of Medicine and Dentistry at James Cook University that is delivered under contract to the Australian Government as part of the Australian General Practice Training (AGPT) Program.
This policy applies to all staff, Supervisors, contractors and sub-contractors, and Registrars employed or engaged by JCU in its capacity as a provider of General Practice (GP) training services under the AGPT Program.
JCU GP Training is required to develop and publish local policies that complement the AGPT Program policies.
(Cl 1.8 - Australian General Practice Training Program Policies 2019).
“Registrar” means medical practitioners undertaking formal training through the AGPT Program.
“Supervisor” means a vocationally registered general practitioner employed or engaged by the training post and accredited by JCU GP Training to deliver training according to the training standards of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners and/or the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine.
“JCU policy” in the sole context of JCU’s contract to deliver AGPT services shall include procedures and the term policy or procedure may be used interchangeably on JCU’s GP Training website to comply with the AGPT Program requirements.
- JCU GP Training is a program delivered by James Cook University (JCU).
- JCU, through the College of Medicine and Dentistry, has additional and specific obligations and responsibilities within its AGPT Program contract with the Australian Government.
- JCU is able to make specific policies in relation to matters pertaining to its delivery of the AGPT program, including but not limited to:
- Registrar management including complaints and grievances
- Supervisor and Medical Educator management
- Training placement management
- JCU policies and procedures for the JCU GP Training program are limited in scope to staff, Registrars, Supervisors, contractors and sub-contractors employed or engaged by JCU to support the delivery of the AGPT Program.
- JCU GP Training policies and procedures shall be consistent with JCU policies and procedures. Where an unintended conflict exists between a JCU GP Training policy or procedure and a JCU policy or procedure the JCU GP Training policy or procedure shall take precedence. Consistency between JCU and JCU GP Training policies and procedures is the responsibility of the College of Medicine and Dentistry.
- Where there is a conflict between an AGPT policy and a JCU and/or JCU GP Training policy or procedure the AGPT policy or procedure will take precedence.
- All JCU GP Training policies and procedures must meet the requirements of this JCU GP Training Governance Policy. Any JCU GP Training policy or procedure that does not meet the requirements of this JCU GP Training Governance Policy must be disestablished as soon as practicable.
Related policy and procedure instruments
- Critical Incident Procedure
- Part-time Training Policy and Procedure
- Registrar Complaints Policy and Procedure
- Registrar Review of Decision Policy and Procedure
- Supervisor Policy and Procedure
- Training Assistance, Monitoring and Remediation Policy and Procedure
- Training Post Assistance and Monitoring Policy and Procedure
- Transfer Policy and Procedure
- Withdrawal from Training Policy and Procedure
Related documents and legislation
Contract between the Australian Government Department of Health and James Cook University for and on behalf of JCU GP Training, for the delivery of the AGPT Program.
NOTE: Printed copies of this policy are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Date for next Major Review (in accordance with the Policy Handbook)
Minor amendments to title of program (from Generalist Medical Training program to JCU General Practice Training program)
Policy Officer, JCU GP Training program
Administrative amendment to add documents to ‘Related policy and procedure instruments’ list.
Quality, Standards and Policy Officer
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture