You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- Open Day
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
Dean's Award for HDR Excellence Procedure
Dean’s Award for Research Higher Degree Excellence Nomination Procedure
To state the eligibility criteria for, and provide procedures to manage, the issuing of, Dean’s Award for Research Higher Degree Excellence.
Those awarded a James Cook University research doctorate or research masters degree in the previous calendar year.
For the purposes of these procedures, the word ‘Award’ means the Dean’s Award for Research Higher Degree Excellence.
Criteria for Eligibility
To be eligible to receive a Dean’s Award for Research Higher Degree Excellence, a HDR Candidate must:
- have been awarded a James Cook University research doctorate or research masters degree in the previous calendar year and
- have been nominated for the Award by the Dean of the College in which they were enrolled.
Note this procedure does not include candidates who received their award cum laude, as this award is dealt with in a separate procedure.
1. Each year the Dean, Graduate Research will invite College Deans to submit nominations for the Award from a list of eligible candidates provided by the GRS. The list will include all candidates for whom all examiners recommended the thesis be accepted with changes to the satisfaction of the Dean of College.
2. The nomination must address some or all of the following criteria:
- international recognition of the research work;
- impact of the research (actual and potential);
- publications or other outputs (e.g. creative works); and
- any other recognition of the research quality.
3. The nomination must be endorsed by the relevant College Dean and the nominee’s Advisory Panel.
4. The nominations will be considered by the Research Education Sub-Committee Executive who will rank all nominees on a merit only on the basis of:
- external examiner reports (50%) and
- nominations which address some or all of the criteria in Clause 2.2 (50%).
5. It is intended that no more than 10% of students who have been awarded a research doctorate or research masters degree in the year under consideration will receive this Award.
6. The Research Education Sub-Committee Executive will forward their recommendations for recipients of the Award to the Dean, Graduate Research.
7. The Dean, Graduate Research will determine the recipients of the Award.
8. The recipients of the Award will receive a letter of recognition from the Dean, Graduate Research.
9. The Graduate Research School will publish the list of recipients on their website.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review: