HDR Course Upgrade Procedure
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for International Trade and Business in Asia
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Give to JCU
Graduate Research School
- HDR Candidates
- HDR Advisors
- Workshops and Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Available Projects
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
- COVID-19 Advice for HDR Candidates and Advisors
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Study Now
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
PROCEDURE DISESTABLISHED: Only Masters Candidates enrolled prior to the 1 January 2020 may apply to upgrade. Masters Candidates enrolling on or after this date are not eligible to upgrade.
To specify the process by which a candidate enrolled in a Research Masters degree can transfer their candidature to a Research Doctorate degree.
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Glossary of Terms for Policies in the Student and Teaching and Course Management chapters of the University Policy Library and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
Upgrade of Candidature: the transfer of candidature from a Research Masters degree to a Research Doctorate degree without completion of the Research Masters degree.
Milestone: refers to Confirmation of Candidature, Mid-Candidature Review and Pre-Completion Evaluation.
“At a Doctorate Level”: means at the scope and standard for a Doctorate as compared to that for a Masters.
1. There are three opportunities during candidature, for the Upgrade of HDR Candidature from a Research Masters to a Research Doctorate. They are:
a. At Confirmation of Candidature milestone
Timeframe: at 0.5-1 EFTSL as per the normal PhD Confirmation of Candidature.
- UPG-FORM-01 HDR Course Upgrade Form
- Conduct Confirmation of Candidature at a Doctoral level
- Attach all Confirmation of Candidature documents including evidence that the Confirmation of Candidature was done at the Doctoral level
b. At the Mid-Candidature Review milestone.
Timeframe: no later than 1.5 EFTSL.
- Completed Masters Confirmation of Candidature
- Met all the requirements of RD7003
- Conduct Mid-Candidature Review at a Doctoral level (note presentation/seminar is compulsory if upgrading at Mid-Candidature Review.)
- Attached Mid-Candidature Review documents including evidence that the Mid-Candidature Review was done at the Doctoral level
- Attached a revised project proposal on COC-FORM-01 at the Doctoral level
c. At the Pre-Completion Evaluation milestone.
Timeframe: at 1.5 to 2 EFTSL but must repeat Pre-Completion Evaluation for Doctorate candidature at 2.5-3.75 EFTSL and within 6 months before thesis submission, as per the Doctorate Pre-Completion Evaluation time frame.
- Completed Masters Confirmation of Candidature and Mid-Candidature Review
- Completed a Pre-Completion Evaluation at the Doctoral level
- Attached Pre-Completion Evaluation documents including evidence that the Pre-Completion Evaluation was done at the Doctoral level
- Attached a revised project proposal on COC-FORM-01 at the Doctoral level OR complete draft of the thesis at the Doctoral Level.
2. All candidates wishing to upgrade must apply using the UPG-FORM-01 HDR Course Upgrade Application Form. The HDR Course Upgrade Application Form should be completed and submitted to the Primary Advisor with the documents relating to the upgrade milestone, for assessment of the upgrade.
3. Subsequent to the application for upgrade, the milestone documents and HDR Course Upgrade Application Form should be submitted to the Graduate Research School.
4. If the milestone is successfully conducted at a Doctorate level, the Graduate Research School will input an application into the Student Management System and the Candidate will receive an offer from University Admissions for their Doctorate. The offer must be formally accepted, at which point the Graduate Research School will withdraw the Candidate from their Masters and enrol them in the Doctorate, deducting time consumed in the Masters degree from the total time allowance of a Doctorate.
5. For Candidates enrolled prior to 1/1/2018 upgrading at the Confirmation of Candidature and Mid-Candidature Review are required to successfully complete RD7003 (80 hours total of Professional Development) at the appropriate time during the course of the Doctorate, whilst those upgrading at Pre-Completion Evaluation are not required to complete RD7003 at all. For Candidates enrolled form 1/1/2018 upgrading at any milestone will require all Professional Development requirements to be met.
6. If at any point an application to upgrade is declined, the candidate has three options. These are:
- To continue with and complete their Masters Candidature.
- To continue with their Masters Candidature and attempt to upgrade at a later milestone depending on the amount of EFTSL consumed.
- To attempt to resolve the situation with their ADRE and Candidature Committee.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review:
2 June 2016
2 June 2016
Can only upgrade at milestones.
Added time frames for milestone.
Removed reference to Merit Review
29 May 2018
29 May 2018
25 March 2020
25 March 2020