You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
Policy LearnJCU Subject Site Lifecycle Management Procedure
LearnJCU Subject Site Lifecycle Management Procedure
To manage the storage requirements of the Learning Management System (LearnJCU) whilst providing a suitable level of access to historical subject data for the purpose of meeting state legislation, and providing academic audit and student access throughout their studies.
This procedure impacts on all users of LearnJCU including:
- staff who have been assigned a role in a subject (such as Subject Coordinator or Lecturer) via the Teaching Role Database (TRDB); and
- students that have been enrolled in those subjects during the course of their degree.
This procedure applies to:
- LearnJCU - Learning Management System (LMS) (technology)
- LTS - Learning & Teaching Systems Unit (business owner in Division of Learning, Teaching and Student Engagement)
- ICT - Information and Communication Technology (infrastructure provider in the Division of Services and Resources)
- Managed hosting provider (3rd party provider of LearnJCU)
Content stored outside of LearnJCU (non-subject data) will NOT be included in the scope of these procedures as maintenance of these files are outside the control of the University. The following content is excluded from these procedures:
- Content stored outside of LearnJCU (e.g. linked or embedded externally hosted resources, websites and media)
- Content that is supplied under commercial contract (e.g. Publisher e-texts and learning resources)
- Content which JCU does not own copyright (e.g. digitised subject readings)
Active describes the state of a subject site that is stored on managed hosting and accessible to students who have been enrolled in those subjects and to staff who have been assigned a role in the subject (such as Subject Coordinator or Lecturer) via the Teaching Role Database (TRDB).
Archived describes the state of a subject site that has been archived using the LMS standard archiving procedure and stored on local hosting at JCU.
Subject sites include all ‘subject data’ relating to an individual subject stored within the LearnJCU Learning Management System.
Subject data includes all content stored in LearnJCU subject sites. For example, this may include:
- Learning materials (e.g. blackboard generated content, blogs, discussions, glossary, wikis, uploaded documents/files, lecture notes)
- Assessment specifications and student submissions (e.g. tests, surveys, pools, rubrics and assignment submissions)
- Links to lecture recordings and personal media stored on-premises in MediaSite
- Links to reusable learning objects stored on-premises in the Digital Learning Object Repository (DLOR)
Subject sites will remain Active and available for a duration of 6 years. Sites with Active status remain available in the system to students who have completed those subjects and to staff who have been assigned a role in the subject (such as Subject Coordinator or Lecturer) via the Teaching Role Database (TRDB).
Subject sites older than 6 years will assume Archived status and will be removed from the LearnJCU system and stored in JCU’s data centre. Access to the sites will be regulated by ICT to ensure that there is no unauthorized access or information corruption and to provide disaster recovery.
LearnJCU subject sites designated as Archived may be restored to the LearnJCU system via a ServiceNow request to LTS and made available to appropriate staff for auditing and review purposes.
LTS identify LearnJCU subject sites older than 6yrs to be archived.
LTS request archive of identified subject sites from managed hosting provider.
Managed hosting provider to create a Blackboard proprietary storage file for each identified subject site.
Managed hosting provider to transfer data to ICT storage infrastructure and control access/security and backup.
LTS to remove identified subject sites from the LearnJCU system.
End user request subject site restore via ServiceNow.
LTS restore subject site to active status and provide controlled access to end user
Related policy instruments
Learning Teaching and Assessment Policy - https://www.jcu.edu.au/policy/learning-and-teaching/learning-teaching-and-assessment-policy
LearnJCU Subject Lifecycle website - https://www.jcu.edu.au/learning-and-teaching/designing-for-learning/blended-learning/learnjcu
NOTE: Printed copies of this procedure are uncontrolled, and currency can only be assured at the time of printing.
Deputy Vice Chancellor, Academic
Date for next Major Review
Approval date - the date the Policy Sponsor approved the establishment, minor or major amendment or disestablishment
Implementation Date - the date the procedure was published in the Policy Library and is the date the procedure takes effect
Head, Blended Learning and Innovation
[list several relevant key words which may be used to search for and locate the procedure in the Policy Library]
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture