HDR Discontinuation of Candidature Procedure
- Future Students
- Current Students
- Research and Teaching
- Partners and Community
- About JCU
- Celebrating 50 Years
- Anton Breinl Research Centre
- Agriculture Technology and Adoption Centre
- Living on Campus
- Advanced Prawn Breeding Research Hub
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Australian/NZ Students
- Australian Lions Stinger Research
- Boating and Diving
- Australian Tropical Herbarium
- Careers at JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Careers and Employability
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Centre for Tropical Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology
- College of Business, Law and Governance
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- College of Science and Engineering
- COVID-19 Advice
- Cyclone Testing Station
- Daintree Rainforest Observatory
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Discover Nature at JCU
- Division of Research and Innovation
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- Division of Tropical Health and Medicine
- Staff Intranet
- Economic Geology Research Centre
- Elite Athletes
- Foundation for Australian Literary Studies
- Gender Equity Action and Research
- Give to JCU
- Information for JCU Cairns Graduates
Graduate Research School
- HDR Candidates
- HDR Advisors
- Workshops and Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Available Projects
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
- COVID-19 Advice for HDR Candidates and Advisors
- JCU Ideas Lab
- Indigenous Education and Research Centre
- Indigenous Legal Needs Project
- IT Services
- Information for Agents
- International Students
- JCU College
- JCU Connect
- JCU Contact Information
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Global Experience
- JCU Motorsports
- JCU Prizes
- JCU Sport
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- New Students
- Off-Campus Students
- Office of the Provost
- Office of the Vice Chancellor and President
- Open Day
- Outstanding Alumni Awards
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Planning for your future
- Professional Experience Placement
- Queensland Research Centre for Peripheral Vascular Disease
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- Researcher Development Portal
- Safety and Wellbeing
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Strategic Procure to Pay
- Student Equity and Wellbeing
- TQ Maths Hub
- Unicare Centre and Unicampus Kids
- VAVS Home
- Work Health and Safety
- WHOCC for Vector-borne & NTDs
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
HDR Discontinuation of Candidature Procedure
To specify the process by which a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidature may be discontinued.
This Procedure applies to Candidates for the research higher degrees offered by the University.
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Policy Glossary in the Learning and Teaching domain of the University Policy Library, and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
- An HDR Candidate may have their candidature discontinued at any time after enrolment and prior to conferral for the following reasons:
- At the end of a period of being Under Review if the Candidate has not fulfilled the agreed requirements of the Candidature Management Plan.
- After not having any contact with Advisors for a minimum of three months and the Graduate Research School have confirmed the situation and also tried to make contact with the Candidate.
- By request to withdraw from the candidature by Variation of Candidature form or by email.
- The Research Education Sub-Committee has determined that a Candidate has failed the thesis examination process after review of the examiners’ recommendations.
- The Candidate has breached the conditions set out in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
- The Candidate is no longer able to undertake the agreed research project for reasons such, as but not limited to:
- The University has determined on the basis of recommendations from two independent experts that the material being prepared for presentation in the thesis will not meet the requirements for the degree.
- The Candidate is no longer able to undertake the approved research project and an appropriate alternative cannot be found after reasonable efforts by the College.
- The Candidate is unable to be supervised by appropriate Advisors and alternatives cannot be found after reasonable efforts by the Dean of College.
- The candidate has refused to abide by a reasonable formal notification from the university within the period nominated in the notification which must be at least 20 working days.
- The University requires that the Candidate be discontinued as the result of a misconduct or complaint process.
- The Graduate Research School will provide the Candidate with a Notification of Discontinuation (including the reason for the discontinuation). The notice will be sent to the Candidate’s JCU student email address and postal address as recorded by the University.
- A Candidate may appeal the Notification of Discontinuation UNLESS under Clause 1.a or 1.c of this procedure. To appeal the Notification of Discontinuation, a Candidate must refer to the Student Appeal Procedure (General).
- If the candidate has not submitted a written appeal to the notification of discontinuation within 20 working days of the date of the notification, the Graduate Research School will withdraw the Candidate from their degree in the Student Management System.
- In the case of discontinuation of an International Candidate, the Graduate Research School must inform the International Student Support team so that they can inform the Secretary of DEEWR through PRISMS.
- Following discontinuation, the Candidate can request a review of the decision to discontinue the candidature, by contacting the Queensland Ombudsman, make a complaint as per Clause 3 of the Student Complaint Management Policy and Procedure.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review:
Removed references to Merit Review
|17-2||09/08/17||Administrative changes in response to ESOS Audit|
|17-3||17/10/17||17/10/17||Clause 1.f.iv added, approved in Res Comm.|
|19-1||19/07/19||Minor Change: Added reference to Student Appeal Procedure (General) in Clause 3. Moved reference to Student Complaint Policy and Procedure from Clause 3 to Clause 6.|