You and Your CourseOpportunities
Research and Teaching
Our ResearchResearch Degrees
Partners and Community
Partner with JCU
- About JCUPartner with JCU
- Advanced Analytical Centre
- Applying to JCU
- Association of Australian University Secretaries
- Australian Quantum & Classical Transport Physics Group
- Careers and Employability
- College of Healthcare Sciences
- College of Medicine and Dentistry
- Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
- International Students
- JCU Eduquarium
- JCU Halls of Residence
- Language and Culture Research Centre
- Marine Geophysics Laboratory
- Open Day
- Parents and Partners
- Pathways to University
- Planning and Performance
- Professional Experience Placement
- Rapid Assessment Unit
- JCU Connect
- Scholarships @ JCU
- Tropical Sustainable Design Case Studies
- VAVS Home
- Media & Comms
- Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine
- About JCU
For HDR Advisors
HDR Advisors Training Program
Resources and Support
- Research Education Sub-Committee and Executive
- Advisor Handbook
- Principles for Respectful Supervisory Relationships
- HDR Advisors Training Program
- Workshops & Training
- Policy & Procedure
- Research Excellence
- Contact Us
HDR Discontinuation of Candidature Procedure
HDR Discontinuation of Candidature Procedure
To specify the process by which a Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidature may be discontinued.
This Procedure applies to Candidates for the research higher degrees offered by the University.
Terms mentioned in this document and not defined here are defined in the Policy Glossary in the Learning and Teaching domain of the University Policy Library, and in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
- An HDR Candidate may have their candidature discontinued at any time after enrolment and prior to conferral for the following reasons:
- At the end of a period of being Under Review if the Candidate has not fulfilled the agreed requirements of the Candidature Management Plan.
- After not having any contact with Advisors for a minimum of three months and the Graduate Research School have confirmed the situation and also tried to make contact with the Candidate.
- By request to withdraw from the candidature by Variation of Candidature form or by email.
- The Research Education Sub-Committee has determined that a Candidate has failed the thesis examination process after review of the examiners’ recommendations.
- The Candidate has breached the conditions set out in the Higher Degree by Research (HDR) Requirements.
- The Candidate is no longer able to undertake the agreed research project for reasons such, as but not limited to:
- The University has determined on the basis of recommendations from two independent experts that the material being prepared for presentation in the thesis will not meet the requirements for the degree.
- The Candidate is no longer able to undertake the approved research project and an appropriate alternative cannot be found after reasonable efforts by the College.
- The Candidate is unable to be supervised by appropriate Advisors and alternatives cannot be found after reasonable efforts by the Dean of College.
- The candidate has refused to abide by a reasonable formal notification from the university within the period nominated in the notification which must be at least 20 working days.
- The University requires that the Candidate be discontinued as the result of a misconduct or complaint process.
- The Graduate Research School will provide the Candidate with a Notification of Discontinuation (including the reason for the discontinuation). The notice will be sent to the Candidate’s JCU student email address and postal address as recorded by the University.
- A Candidate may appeal the Notification of Discontinuation UNLESS under Clause 1.a or 1.c of this procedure. To appeal the Notification of Discontinuation, a Candidate must refer to the Student Appeal Procedure (General).
- If the candidate has not submitted a written appeal to the notification of discontinuation within 20 working days of the date of the notification, the Graduate Research School will withdraw the Candidate from their degree in the Student Management System.
- In the case of discontinuation of an International Candidate, the Graduate Research School must inform the International Student Support team so that they can inform the Secretary of DEEWR through PRISMS.
- Following discontinuation, the Candidate can request a review of the decision to discontinue the candidature, by contacting the Queensland Ombudsman, make a complaint as per Clause 3 of the Student Complaint Management Policy and Procedure.
Dean, Graduate Research
Date for next review:
Removed references to Merit Review
|17-2||09/08/17||Administrative changes in response to ESOS Audit|
|17-3||17/10/17||17/10/17||Clause 1.f.iv added, approved in Res Comm.|
|19-1||19/07/19||Minor Change: Added reference to Student Appeal Procedure (General) in Clause 3. Moved reference to Student Complaint Policy and Procedure from Clause 3 to Clause 6.|
- James Cook University
- Bachelor of Advanced Science
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences
- Bachelor of Business
- Bachelor of Business / Laws
- Bachelor of Business & Environmental Science
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- Bachelor of Early Childhood Education
- Bachelor of Primary Education
- Bachelor of Secondary Education
- Bachelor of Environmental Practice
- Bachelor of Geology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Laws
- Bachelor of Nursing Science (External)
- Bachelor of Midwifery
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- Bachelor of Planning
- Bachelor of Psychological Science
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Social Work
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology
- Bachelor of Sport & Exercise Science
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science
- Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering / Science (Honours) MBA in Tourism
- Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine
- Master of Data Science
- Bachelor of Sports Psychology
- Bachelor of Marine Science
- Bachelor of Medicine / Surgery
- Bachelor of Nursing Science [Pre-Registration]
- Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychology
- Master of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Graduate Certificate of Conflict Management & Resolution
- Master of Global Development
- Master of International Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Bachelor of Technology and Innovation
- Bachelor of Science & Bachelor of Laws
- Diploma of Higher Education
- Diploma of Higher Education (Business)
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Business Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Engineering and Applied Science
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in General Studies
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Health
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Information Technology
- Diploma of Higher Education Majoring in Science
- Diploma of Higher Education, Majoring in Society and Culture